Thread: Working

Working

If I don't think i can work because of this anxiety, is it possible to do anything about it such as benefits?

I'm a student and am at uni most of the year which is tough enough, but I can't really afford to go back unless I earn money this summer. I've got about 4 months now but I can't imagine working at the moment, I dont even want to leave the house most of the time.

Does anyone have any advice?

Ooh basics I'm interested in any answers to this one.

Abit like you I cant imagine working at the mo as I only like being out if I've got my kids with me. I do have a little part-ime job selling make-up locally that I just about manage which gives me a little extra.

I actually would love to get back out there working but it would be comforting in the meantime to know if I would get anything at all.

I exist on maintenance payments at the mo but my kids will all be grown up in a few years time - although I am trying to live more in the present than worry that far ahead. Still it would help to know.

Love Piglet

I work part-time as I have ME, but as far as my anxiety goes working actually helps me, because if I'm not at work I'm sitting at home worrying about my health etc so for me work takes my mind off it a bit.
    It doesn't always work but it helps. I've even had panic attacks at work but most of the time no one even noticed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

LJ x

Maybe you could find part-time work at a place that is close to your house, that way you will feel more comfortable. As LJ says, doing something can really help you take your mind off things. I'm I'm just sitting around, I tend to panic..

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

yeah just sittin around dose make it worse and maybe i should take my own advice but i am on benifits to as i'm a full time carer i currently get i.s and c.a but i'm sure if you ring your local b.agency they will tell you

leanne

Hello Basics,
    I must admit that when I first started suffering anxiety and panic attacks I found working extremely difficult. I had a job where I was constantly on my feet and I felt very dizzy at times - I remember just turning my head round quickly had the same effect as being on a fairground ride! If I were you, I would try and take it step by step, try some voluntary work a few hours a week until you build your confidence up. I would certainly look into claiming some benefits in the short term - you have got nothing to lose. If you do paid work straight away, you may put more pressure on yourself because of the need for money. This will only lead to further anxiety. With anxiety, its the small steps that really count.
    All the best, hope things work out for you,
    Amanda x

a hill

Hi basics,

I'm not qualified to answer your specific question but can certainly relate to other people's responses here.

I suffer from anxiety so much that I had to give up work. Living on my own means that I'm very prone to worrying about my anxiety and have just recently started one afternoon a week in a charity shop.

OK, its unpaid but in return I get the freedom to say "I'm not that good today and I'm not coming in". Its at least getting me into work mode and provides some structure to my life.

My first week there I felt rotten - it was the shock of it all - the second week went like a breeze.

I'm sure there's some casual job out there to earn you a few beans, but it takes courage and conviction.

Be Strong,

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

For anyone whos ready to take that next step

Volunteering ...

HI Basis,

Call your local jobcentre plus - they take all your information & go through any beifits your allowed.

I get incapasity benifit as the depression, and manly anxiety, prevent me form working at this point in time.

PM me if you have any questions or anthing id be happy to answer.

Tatty B xx

Thread Information