Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

Re: Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

we can do this together.
    we have to stick with it.
    we have to believe this.
    we have eachother, for me that is enough to get past these aweful side effects.

much love, peace and light to everyone out there
    xxx

Thank you so much for the positive posts... you all have been there, so you know firsthand how the side effects can rip off hope for beginners!

I am on day 10, and misearble! But I'll try to stick with this med for as long as I can!

Hi Im new here and going through years of terrible panic and anxiety, my doctor recommended fluoxetine and I had awful side effects with it so I stopped. They had terrible effects on my eyes and gave me mydriasis which is one pupil going a lot larger than the other, it sent me into a complete world of panic I ended up having a brain scan which thankfully was normal but Im so frightened to go back on them, I have a heart condition and my Gp says they are the safest ones for me so Im wondering if anyone else experienced any change in their eyes whilst taking the flouxetine, any pharmasist Ive asked have never heard of them effecting the eyes which is making them even more difficult to take. I really need to be on something as the anxiety and depression is escalating to a much higher level which I didnt even think was possible. Please Help!

Hi - I was on fluoxetine for 15 years and found it fantastic - the side effects were horrendous and no internet then - for me anyway! I suffer with OCD (Pure O) - only just had a diagnosis and had none whilst on fluox 20mg. It took 12 weeks for me to feel good - it gave up the ghost last October and have suffered since. I am seeing a psychiatrist (private) because of the rubbish NHS system in Mental Health and having tried Sertraline to no avail on Citalopram going up to 40mg on Sat. I asked him if it would be as effective as fluox and he replied at the end of the day it is an SSRI which work better for OCD.

One word of warning - I tried Fluoxetine again a couple of months later and it was a nightmare and felt suicidal. My advice if it works stay on it for life if you have to - I will stay on Citalopram as second time round on them they do not have the same effect from what I have read on here too.

I have found the initial start up effects on Citalopram are no where near as horrid as Fluoxetine - just hoping they work as good.

Thanks for all the encouraging posts on this thread. I am on day 12 with fluoxetine 20mg which was prescribed for deprssion/anxiety/panic attacks. This has definitely been the worst day for side-effects so far - jittery, dry mouth, lots of nervous energy, poor sleep quality - but no full-blown panic attacks like before (used to get excruciating abdominal cramps, diarrhea, heartburn, palpitations and high blood pressure). It looks like I will need to stick with treatment for a few more weeks until I start getting the full benefit but I am glad to see the fluoxetine will work eventually.

I am loving reading about all these experiences! I'm on day 8 and I am feeling kind of the same as I was before, maybe a little bit calmer.. I know sometimes the side effects take time to build but I weaned off the cymblata right before changing to prozac so maybe I'll be one of the lucky few with a smooth ride? Thinking of you all and hang in there!!

ok, so how is everyone doing? I spoke too soon and as soon as I hit week three the side effects got me.. Waking up trembling and heart pounding every morning and then that eases up and them I am just on the edge for the rest of the day. Does this pass by soon you think? I don't want to quit yet. I'm a day away from starting week 4.

Thanks to all that have posted their experience with Fluoxentine. I am on day seven , and have been going through many of the side effects; nauseous , anxious, tiredness , head fog, etc... It is reassuring to know that things will get better if I continue through this. Today was my worst day, but yesterday was my best... I guess it's a day-by-day thing.

Sometimes the side effects can last several weeks. I've recently started on fluoxetine for the third time in my life, and the side effects were terrible - felt so on edge for several weeks, though I had been feeling that way in the weeks beforehand anyway (previously I just felt down and lethargic when I went on them). Around the middle of the 5th week on them the side effects seemed to go away pretty quickly and now I'm feeling so much better.

I could have tried a couple of other SSRIs for pure O OCD but I decided to go back on fluoxetine as I had managed to live a fairly normal life on it before and I didn't want to be messing around with new meds again.

Thanks to all of you who have posted your experiences, your posts have helped me greatly for the last month. I have been on 10 mg fluoxetine for a month for anxiety, and three days ago i increased my dose to 20 mg. Now I feel very anxious again. The first two weeks on 10 mg were terrible, but then I gradually started to feel better. Have anyone experiences the anxiety coming back after increasing the dose? I feel so alone and desperate, please help! And I really hope all of you struggling with side effects get better soon!

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information