Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

Re: Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

It is all normal and it is a very bumpy road for a few weeks with good days and bad days, 4 to 5 and half weeks were my worst time and I thought I would never feel better but just after that I started to have more good than bad days and really turned a corner, just take it day by day, 6 maybe 8 weeks before they really kick in.

Janine

I have been feeling intense side effects today, I am on day 6, the most uncomfortable is the weird panic/anxiety/space cadet feeling and not being able to concentrate, followed by insanely sweaty palms which is now starting to hurt like when you have been in the shower or bath too long (anyone else experienced this?)

Thank you everyone for your input, I was feeling so alone before reading this thread, signed up just to say thanks and I wish you all the best.

.. I'm in beginning of 3rd week.. having a we full side effects .. the anxiety has taken over my life.. the doctor has me on 2mgs of ativan a day just to cope.. I'm always sedated I can't be alone..must have someone here at all times.. the nausea n throwing up doesn't make it any easier.. I lost 15 lbs in a week and a half.. the only time I get a little relief is at night.. I'm so scared this will never end.. it feels like a lifetime already suffering like this.. n the holidays are coming around I hope I get to enjoy at least Christmas bc thanksgiving will probably be a wash.. when can I expect to get some relief from the anxious feeling.. any help from anyone would be great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newgirl81 View Post
    .. I'm in beginning of 3rd week.. having a we full side effects .. the anxiety has taken over my life.. the doctor has me on 2mgs of ativan a day just to cope.. I'm always sedated I can't be alone..must have someone here at all times.. the nausea n throwing up doesn't make it any easier.. I lost 15 lbs in a week and a half.. the only time I get a little relief is at night.. I'm so scared this will never end.. it feels like a lifetime already suffering like this.. n the holidays are coming around I hope I get to enjoy at least Christmas bc thanksgiving will probably be a wash.. when can I expect to get some relief from the anxious feeling.. any help from anyone would be great!!!
    What you are feeling sounds like what most people go through when starting a new antidepressant. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to feel the full effects. Three weeks in still isn't that long, unfortunately. Hang in there, and let us know how it goes!

How's everyone doing ?
    I'm on day 26 and really struggling to keep it together......the Health Anxiety is going nuts .....
    Hard to believe that it'll get better.
    x

After trying many ad's with no success (I think the doctors were ramping me to high dosages too quickly) I ended up on effexor for 8 months.

After not really benefiting from that I decided I wanted to come off the medications, so over a 3 month period I reduced my effexor significantly but as withdrawal side effects became near unbearable doc suggested I bridge with Prozac. Long story short I came off both medications and had the best 3 months of my life, I had never felt better or more free.

Unfortunately in just a single week everything came crashing down again, old symptoms returned... Anxiety, lethargic, low mood.

Doc decided to put me back on Prozac the medication chosen to bridge during my effexor withdrawal.

Day 20 now, 10mg for first 2 weeks and 20mg for last 5 days, nausea has passed, blurred vision has passed, I'm just left with an anxiety that feels 10x worse than what is was when I got back on the medication.

In the last few days I have had to take ativan just to get me through, which disappoints me as I try to avoid Benzos.

I know this increased anxiety is a side effect but it really takes its toll riding out the initial weeks. I do have hope though after reading that others found success at the 4-6 week mark.

Hi Jaysmd

I'm day 36 on 20mg, and anxiety has crept back in after a month of feeling pretty okay. I too have gone back to taking Xanax on some days this week, because anxiety is just really unbearable at times.

It seems like 6 to 8 weeks is the magic time to get solid results for most people. I've just started week 6, so I'm just going to ride out these next couple weeks as best I can.

Good luck to you!

It's just hard that coming up to the three week mark most side effects have subsided except the anxiety has magnified and become crippling. Anxiety is what I'm trying to beat with this medication. It's a slap in the face really

Hi! Just wanted to share my experience with fluoxetine since I've been on and off it several times now. I didn't really experience increased anxiety as some people are reporting (but I would say when I was put on it previously I was very severely anxious anyway) but I definitely had stomach troubles and problems concentrating. I would say it took about 1-2 months for symptoms to go away completely but during the mean time taking it with food and at a consistant time made things manageable. I found it to be a really awesome med and wish it still worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysmd View Post
    It's just hard that coming up to the three week mark most side effects have subsided except the anxiety has magnified and become crippling. Anxiety is what I'm trying to beat with this medication. It's a slap in the face really
    Yeah, my anxiety has increased at the moment, too. I've just given up and taken a Xanax. Keep posting day to day if it helps you. I know it helps me knowing there are others out there. I think the side effects should subside in a week or two.

Hey flannel! Glad you're doing well on Fluoxetine! It's nice to hear positive stories--they keep me going.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread Information