Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

Re: Fluoxetine side effects - a message of hope

My eyes are blurry and my reading vision its good since starting Prozac if that helps

Joy

Hey all!! I have suffered with anxiety for sometime! I am a terror for coming on and off but im sticking with them this time!!.......Just reading this has made me feel better! I was sure I was going crazy loosing my mind! Recently split with gf (my fault) and even tho she came to see me yesterday and said she'll see me again i've been thinking she's seeing someone else and also all sorts of CRAZY thoughts! I am getting the impression its the fluoxotine doing it to me now. Honest the thoughts wud seriously only make sense to me!....I keep just beliving the worst when really I should be pleased she's even speaking. Surely thats a good thing. I am going to try my best to persevere with the tablets and ignore the thoughts I am having!

Hey, it's day 3 for me - what is it with the pins and needles?? Plus this is the first time I've had OCD symptoms for about 6 months. Seems like regression somehow. Please someone tell me this is normal/or not. Should I go back to my GP or stick it out?? Any words of wisdom would be very welcome right now. Thanks.

Y,ou need to stick it out unfortunately, I went on it for anxiety and my anxiety got worse after taking it, to cut a long story short, lots of different side effects at different times over 5 weeks, and at times I hit rock bottom and thought I would never feel better, I lost loads of weight because I could not eat, couldnt relax etc. there were better days and really bad days, however it will seem a long way a way because it did for me but at just over 5 weeks I started to feel loads better and like me again, I have had little blips since but am now at 10 weeks and feel great.

I did have diazapan to take as when I needed it and some sleeping pills and they both helped the rough days, am also on 160mg slow release propopanhol which has helped so much with the anxiety. I wish I had found this website at the stage you are at as I did not find it until I was about four weeks in, but reading that others are going through the same thing and that they got better plus the really important support that I have had has helped me get where I am now.

Good luck and I am happy to be here for you if you need it.

Janinexxx

Thank You Janine!! Yeah the site really helps!! Not enough advice and warning given by the doctor at all!

Thank you everyone for posting your experiences.

I am about to start fluoxetine (maybe tomorrow) but am too nervous because I have heard about the anxiety increase in the first few weeks.

I'm assuming that most people with anxiety problems get this, but I have a fear of being anxious and I really can't find the courage to take fluoxetine if it can make it worse.

I have been having nocturnal panic attacks and have to phone NHS direct every night to help me calm down. I'm also worried that the added anxiety will make it even harder when looking for jobs and going to interviews.

Please could someone offer my any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Hey BellaBella88

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time at night with anxiety attacks :/ Ironically the people who really don't want to/afraid of taking SSRI's are the ones who really need it and yes it may increase your anxiety for the first few weeks and you may experience some unpleasant side effects but you have to evaluate where you are now, can you live like this? Will enduring the side effects for a few weeks and then getting on that road to recovery outweigh the way you are feeling now? If you are having to ring the NHS for reassurance then they are pretty bad anxiety attacks and maybe you should give Fluoxetine a try?

I know the side effects can be daunting but maybe you could try the "Cranzac" method? A couple of people use this method as it may offer some alleviation from SE's which are not nice :/
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123840

Let us now how you get on in general and what you decide to do. Maybe a diary or your own thread on here detailing how you feel day to day may help, you will certainly get some kind words of encouragement and you can look back and view your progression

Nathan x

Previous Medication:
    Propranalol, Sertraline, Seroxat and Citalopram

Song covers on sound cloud:
    http://soundcloud.com/nathan-daly

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBella88 View Post
    Thank you everyone for posting your experiences.

I am about to start fluoxetine (maybe tomorrow) but am too nervous because I have heard about the anxiety increase in the first few weeks.

I'm assuming that most people with anxiety problems get this, but I have a fear of being anxious and I really can't find the courage to take fluoxetine if it can make it worse.

I have been having nocturnal panic attacks and have to phone NHS direct every night to help me calm down. I'm also worried that the added anxiety will make it even harder when looking for jobs and going to interviews.

Please could someone offer my any advice?

Thank you in advance.
    I found it was worth a few days of increased anxiety in order to get to where I am now. If you really find it unbearable you can always ask to be switched to a different medication, but there's nothing to lose by trying it.

Don't put yourself under too much pressure to look for jobs and go to interviews at the moment as it may be too stressful right now. I would say give yourself some time to recover from your anxiety and then you can focus on finding a new job.

Unfortunately I'm eight days in and expecting a reply about a second interview this week. Eep! I would call it off but it's my ideal opportunity and my bosses at work make my stress
    so elevated that I have told myself 'I am going to get a new job'. I'm hoping its on a good day as if I wake up like I did today it's going to be a struggle :(

I have been on fluxotine for 2 months now and my anxiety/depression has improved but I get awful bouts of nausea everyday. I worry alot about my health anyway even though I am healthy and I'm worried that the nausea is from underlying disease I could have. I just wish it would go away. Maybe I need to increase my dose

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information