Thread: doctors has made things worse

doctors has made things worse

well I went to the doctors (I made it ok anyway) I dont know if he helped or not,He was very friendly at least.

I told him what was going on. He aksed a few questions, he then asked for my pregnancy notes and saw i had had preeclampsia in my last two pregnancies. (at 40 weeks and at 34 weeks). He didnt say much but he did my blood pressure and then got the look I know on his face which says " oh this is high", I didnt ask how high because I know that would panic me. He told me I would need a blood test tomorrow and to come back to him at the end of the week.

about the anxiety he said he though it sounded pretty even between anxiety and depression and that the two were probably feeding off each other. he then said that since I have two children under 5 and am pregnant he thinks as certain amount of anxiety can be expected but he thinks the problem is probably that the physical symptoms of the anxiety are limited me so much that I have difficulty getting out to do things to make me feel better. (I could have told him that).

He said he cant prescribe any medications at the moment because although they are ok to take in a normal pregnancy they are only a last resort in a high risk pregnancy (must raise your blood pressure I guess?).

He said that when I get this blood test tomorrow he want to do a thyroid test at the same time to rule out any physical cause. although he did say he doesnt think there is one.
    he is asking the health visitor to call me or write etc.

I couldnt get an appointment i could get to around nursery tomorrow for the blood test so i will go on monday, if it was anything really worrying he would have sent me today.so i will go back for another check with him the end of next week.

I feel alot more worried than I did before because now i am worried about the blood pressure, I knew I was at risk from this, I am 25 weeks and with my daughter I was already hospitalized by this point. to be honest I just cant face all of that again, I wish i had considered it before getting pregnant.

I am also disappointed that he basically said that other than call the health visitor (who i despise) and do this test there is nothing else he can do for me, He told me that he didnt think medications work anyway - which seemed to be the opposite of what i have read on here. He said that the counsellor i had seen and written on my record that i was "reluctant to accept treatment" which i didnt think i was but maybe she is right

sorry to moan on I just put so much effort to go out to the doctors and now he has basically set me off on a whole new direction of panic with this blood pressure thing.

sophie

Re: doctors has made things worse

Oh that's a lot to take in ... but your blood pressure may have been high for a number of reasons today. When you go back next don't dash there - get there a little earlier so you can sit down and relax and get the blood pressure down abit. Mine used to be skyhigh cos' my Dr's is up a big hill !

I think he is playing it safe with offering no meds. There are meds available but he probably thinks you don't need them and they do try to avoid them in pregnancy. So I think that they are just keeping an eye on you and are not too alarmed themselves that something is wrong.

Have you got a midwife? Maternity hospital? Our maternity hospital offers therapies for anxious and stressed mummies to be. Check to see if yours does too. Also reflexlogy is great in pregnancies for helping you to relax.

Remember you aren't pregnant forever. So try to take it as easy as you can. Early nights and warm ( not too hot!) baths for you .xxx

Thanks for your reply. you are right I just need to relax and go back. I am just totally terrifeid of getting preeclampsia again (I had it with my previous two children) so it sort of send me into a total state when something like this happens!

sophie

Not surprised, pregnancy turns you into a worrying wreck ( prepare you for parenthood I suppose!) but as long they are monitoring you then you will be fine..... And you are over half way there now!

Do you what it is in your tummy - a pink one or a blue one?

we were told at about 17 weeks girl, but the baby wouldnt show us at 20 weeks so we couldnt confirm it! I think it is probably a girl but im not going too mad buying little dressed just in case!

we have a daughter (4) and a son (2) already

my husbands advice to me was "well we better buy you some pyjamas just in case" (I normally dont wear them!) he is not the most calming of people lol

sophie

Yes - get your bag packed and your paper knickers !!

Thread Information