Thread: ocd getting out of control

ocd getting out of control

hi, finding it really hard to cope at the moment my ocd is getting worse and worse.
    i have been under alot of stress lately, my grandma is ill, mentally and physically so its a big strain on me because i am having to deal with it on my own mostly.
    anyway i have numerous obsessions, too many to list but the main one at the moment is my 2 cats. i cant cope anymore. i have an obsession over germs, bacteria causing illness. i have the cats in the kitchen at the moment as i recently found a flea in the lounge and after hours on google found out that the fleas live in the soft furnishings, got just wood in the kitchen so i thought this would help. the cats have been treated for worms and fleas.
    now they are in the kitchen and its a nightmare, they jump on the surfaces and pull food out of the bin, then there is the litter box.
    my anxiety levels are really high, i cant have a cup of tea unless i wash the kettle obsessively first, because i know they have been on the counter. i dont eat much because of my ocd over the kitchen and the cats, i have actually lost weight. my hands are red cracked and bleeding from all the washing and cleaning products.
    i cant carry on, i know its not the cats fault but i just cant control the obsessions. i know if i bring them into the room again it will be the same i will just think there are fleas in the sofa. i considered leaving them out but this seems cruel and other people also said it was.
    sorry, i know it all sounds rather silly but i just dont know what to do.
    thanks for listening.

Re: ocd getting out of control

Hey, Sorry to hear things are difficult for you at the moment. Do you have a friend that could look after your cats til your OCD passes a bit? Not eating because of it is not a healthy situation to be in, and the lack of nutrition will only make you feel worse.

Re: the cracked hands too: wear rubber gloves when handling chemicals!

Big hugs and hang in there x

J

Re: ocd getting out of control

Thanks for the reply. I have asked everyone i know and they have said they cant take them, i guess i will just have to deal with it.
    I also phoned the cats protection for advice but they just said i should never have got the cats if i cant take proper care of them. How was i meant to know i would get ill, i think its a little unfair, and i do feel bad for the poor cats.
    Its not just the cats i have many obsessions but this is the worst at present.
    Thanks again for your support. I just hope things get easier soon.

Thread Information