Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Lump in Throat

Strange Lump in Throat

Hi there.

When I swallow, and then relax my throat, I can feel a lump on one side that I can 'push' with my fingers inwards behind my adam's apple. The actual movement is a 'pop' if you will, where the lump moves to the centre again.

Now usually I wouldn't worry about such a thing, but being a Testicular Cancer patient (caught it real early, no sign of spread, currently on surveillence), the damn thing really likes its lymph nodes so you can understand my concern!

Both my girlfriend and her brother have confirmed (over the phone) that they can also get the same feeling, but being an anxiety sufferer, I tend to think they are just trying to put me at ease! Not sure if its a part of my normal anatomy or something more sinister! I've been looking at diagrams but its like a spagetti junction in that area!

Is this somehow connected to the 'lump in the throat' sensation you get when sad/anxious?

Probably going out of my mind,
    SFA

Hi SFA,

I am a long term anxiety sufferer and my latest and most crippling addition to the symptoms has been my throat. My throat symptoms can change from day to day now and I've replied to a post only today with regards to a similar feeling you describe.

If you have a look here and also look at the links posted in the thread you'll be able to find out more.

throat !!!

Kind Regards,

Mark

Yes , you're absolutely right SFA , it is directly connected to that lump in throat when sad/ anxious or emotional in general especially when trying to hold in emotion.

Its no coincidence that the throat chakra is also known as the emotion chakra .. What we feel gets reflected here.

Globus hystericus - just a muscle with a fancy name .

Yes there are lymph nodes in the neck but not this high up.

Not out of your mind at all.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi I too have a problem with my throat and it is surprising how many others do. I thought it was something real bad and kept going to the gp so much she sent me for a scan. Alexis,x

Thanks for the replies!

mjh74 - Yes your symptoms do sound like what I'm experiencing, although I have yet to actually feel a bump/clicking sensation when swollowing.

meg - With globus hystericus, would you actually physically be able to move the lump? I've always thought anxiety lumps were 'phantom' lumps.

It may not be the actual muscle you're moving but the cartilage around it.
    You'll find even when its not there you can do an awful lot of pushing the anatomical structure around.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Well I went to the doctor on friday and then another today (monday). I went twice because over the weekend my throat (and lump area) started to feel sore, and it felt like I had something stuck in my throat.

They both gave me the same answer - don't worry, you're moving cartilidge around (looks like you were right Meg!). The second doctor added that the reason it hurts (and why the whole left side of my throat hurts) is that muscles go into the cricoid cartilidge (adam's apple) and out again. So when I 'popped' the lump to the middle, I was putting strain on the muscles, hence the muscle ache.

Serves me right for prodding around I guess! [:P]

I hope that puts your mind at ease.

Well done for getting it checked out...

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-

I'm pleased to hear you've been reassured .

Now, do you believe and accept it ?

Meg

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I'm pleased to hear you've been reassured .

Now, do you believe and accept it ?
    <div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 20 June 2005 : 18:20:01</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Ummmm yes I do! I believe its a combination of me pushing things around and also having a sore throat, which probably made it worse...

A side question if I may - why does your jaw 'click' when its tense/achy?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information