Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General anaesthetic wednesday- freaking out! help please!

General anaesthetic wednesday- freaking out! help please!

Hi guys,

anyone had a general anaesthetic recently? I have to have one on wednesday and I am freaking freaking out. Stupidly read the leaflet saying no operations are risk free (I know that of course, why did I read it), and 3-8 in every 100,000 die from anaesthetics. Just some words of wisdom and advice if anyone has any would be lovely. I know I am being irrational as I am healthy(ish apart from anxiety and depression) and young but nothing is helping the panic I'm feeling about it all. I have a young son and I'm worried sick I won't wake up.

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous

Gemma xx

Re: General anaesthetic wednesday- freaking out! help please!

Hey..
    I recently had this concern myself. (See my youtube video: scared).
    Unfortunately my operation was postponed due to my ill health. But i can totally relate to how you are feeling. I was/am still terrified, but thats my irrational head thinking. Rationally, the odds are really on your side.

Sorry i can't be of more help.
    What is the operation for?

x
    Last edited by belle; 17-11-08 at 14:32. Reason: can't flipping spell

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Aww hun i know how your feeling i have to get an urgent back op and am completely scared, the getting put to sleep bit is my greatest fear as well. I want to still be here for my kids, i am scared i wont wake up from it so am tempted to try and plod along with my pain.
    If its any consolation my sister in laws dad has recently had a lot of heart problems, and he has had roughly 3 generals and has come through it fine.....plus i think they would give you a thorough pre medical assessment and make sure everything is working as it should be..............but guess what i'm still scared.
    When is your op Gemma and is it quite a long one if you dont mind me asking xx

I had 2 general anaethetics this year well one end of last year and one round easter this year and I am quite a few stones overweight so that increases the risk. I had managed to get to 47 yrs old having only had 1 very short g a and then 2 in a year. The first one was shortish for gyny things but the second one was suspected appendicitis and when my appendix was okay they did much bigger exploratory op ( I have a 5 ionch scar!) to check nothing else was causing the pain.

both times I was totally convinced I would die under g a and no one was a surprised as me when I woke up!

The longer op ( I think it lasted about an hour) the g a and morphine they gave me made me sick and very very dizzy for about 10 hrs afterwards and was very very tired for about 24 hrs but then fine.

There is just as much if not more risk crossing the road or driving than there is having a g a !! But we don't worry about the first two do we??

I understand completely how you feel but remember you are in the best place possible if something goes wrong which of course it won't.

Good luck and let us know how you are afterwards.

Hi Gemma

Unfortunately they have to give out information like that so that the patient is fully informed but I realise it does nothing to help those who have health anxiety.

To help put your mind at rest I have lost count of the number of GAs I've had in recent years. I'm 39 now and I think to date I've had about 12 GAs with no problems.

The most recent one was last year when I was also very ill with anorexia - my weight was extremely low and the hospital did loads of tests to make sure I could have the GA. That was probably the riskiest one I've ever had but I came through it with no problems.

I hope this helps put your mind at rest a bit and good luck for Wednesday

Karen xx

yes I have them loads a times, don't worry, you will be fine. Wishing you well. xxx

Hi Gemma,

I had an OP a couple of weeks ago, i suffer from anxiety and agoraphobia. Its normal to feel a bit nervous i know i was. You'l wonder what all the fuss was about when you wake up afterwards.

You'll be fine! You've probably got a better chance of winning the lottery than dying under general anethesia. I haven't been put under in many years, but I know lots and lots of folks who have been recently, and every single one of them has come out of it just fine.

ahh guys you're really helping, thanks for all the support xxxxxxxxxxxx

it's a laparoscopy & dye. Anyone had one???

wish it was thursday!!!

i had a laparoscopy a few years bk and have had loads of GAs. both are ok...honest. U will come thru....the guys in the operating theatre are gr8 and u will have the chance to talk to the anaethetist - tell him/her how u r feeling and u will be reassured.

thinking of u and sending hugs, xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information