Thread: fear of neurological disease

fear of neurological disease

hello.
    dont know if this will work, as i have never been here before!
    i have had a tremendous fear of neurological disease for almost 3 years now. at the time it all started i was in a mentally abusive relationship and i started getting these muscle twitches. the relationship has now ended, but everytime i get something wrong with me i am convinced its the start of some awful disease. my doctor has assured me there is nothing to worry about but i am not convinced. i have been under great stress lately as the ex keeps on taking me to court over our son, i am 7 months pregnant so cant take anything to relax and lately the panic is getting really bad, its all i focus on. i have tried anxiety management groups and counselling, but i now feel that my brain is incapable of being retrained, as this has been going on for so long. sound familiar to anyone? although the twitching comes and goes in spurts, my other symptoms are;
    numbness
    pins and needles
    tingling
    weakness
    choking feeling
    slowness like in slow motion
    feeling that i am not here!
    these feelings do not last, although they can bring on a nasty panic attack because i find the whole hyperventalation thing so scarey...where i then have to dash to the loo! when i have the attack, i can feel weird for days afterwards and totally exhausted and washed out. i am fed up of trotting back to the docs everytime, and think that i may need medication when i have given birth to get me through this stressful time in my life. i have ordered the book by Edmund Bourne (Anxiety and phobia workbook) does anyone know if its any good? so maybe i could try that instead.
    have a really busy life as i try to keep so busy that i think as less as i can otherwise that can start the panic off. i seem to focus too much on the way my body funtions and moves, do i seem crazy?
    am going to go now before any of you get bored! and if i go on too much it sometimes brings on an attack... would be a huge relief to find others like me...

denni

It does sound familiar - my anxiety symptoms are based mostly in my head so I always fear brain problems and neurological diseases as well.

However - you can always always always recover from these problems. The first thing you must do though is get past this health anxiety. You must start to think, every single time you feel a symptom, that it is "just the anxiety" - Tell yourself it is passing, take some deep breaths to relax, and it will pass.

The more times you do this, the more times you will get into this way of thinking, and slowly but surely, you will start to feel better.

Getting fit and well is a huge part of this as well - if you can get fit and eat well and take regular exercise you will start to feel better.

NEVER think that you cannot get better - if you think that you will start to believe it, and it is just NOT true. You are under an enormous amount of strain right now and it is understandable that you should be going through a bad patch. But treat your body and mind well and they will reward you.

be well,
    Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

You are not alone. If is really was neurological it would have progressed in three years to having additional specific symptoms you don't mention.

Muscle twitching is extremely common in anxiety

Fatigued Muscles
    aching muscles
    tense muscles
    Everything aches - what can I do

twitching

Pins and Needles & Tingling
    Pins and Needles

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

**i try to keep so busy that i think as less as i can otherwise that can start the panic off. i seem to focus too much on the way my body funtions and moves, do i seem crazy?**

Not crazy at all - get in line.. I think you'll find we've all been there lol

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/healthanxiety.htm

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety

Nothing you mention sounds untoward- its all very familiar anxiety stuff.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi, Been there.. I get the same symptoms as you do!

AND still do! I know what you are feeling like and it is hard. And plus being pregnant on top of that! Just relax and hopefully it will ease a little.

Brandy

to all of you who have replied
    this is great to finally be able to talk to people without feeling crazy, thankyou! thankyou all!

Denni

Hi Denni

Hope the posts helped - I know it was a lot to read but it will really help reading other people's experiences.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

No problem Denni! PM me if you want to chat!!

Brandy

i wish i had found this site ages ago!...[^]

Denni x

Thread Information