Thread: Liver disease fear...why do I do this to myself??

Liver disease fear...why do I do this to myself??

Hi everyone.

For a while I've had a fear of liver disease. It started when I had a touch of IBS or something a while ago, and now it always feels uncomfortable around my liver region. It feels like it's fizzing, or vibrating, and feels like it's pressing on something.

So, I used one of my urine test sticks (I always have a pot to hand, being the obsessive HA sufferer that I am), because I know certain chemicals in wee are increased with liver disease. I swear it looked like I had raised bilirubin! And then I read the leaflet, which said even traces of bilirubin need further investigation. The Google tells me it's indicative of the early stages of liver disease

I did three test sticks, and became so confused as to whether the colour was different from the normal control...now I don't know what to think. I am so tired of feeling unwell and worrying and hauling myself to the doctor's all the time, I am struggling to cope

I would appreciate any advice...does it sound like I should see someone? Or am I imagining the colour change?? Has anyone else used these sticks before?

Anna. x
    "There. You've just said it. It got better."

Re: Liver disease fear...why do I do this to myself??

self testing is a bad idea, when you have got yourself in an anxious state. You say you are fed up going to the doctors, have you explained your fears to him? Im sure if you do he/she will do the test for you and put your mind at ease once and for all.

Re: Liver disease fear...why do I do this to myself??

OOH dear!
    A few weeks ago I went for a blood test to 'put my mind at rest' but was mortified when the doctor told me I had a 'slightly' raised bilirubin level.
    I was on the site like a shot and received some comforting answers.
    I also found out that there are 50 reasons why someone can have a raised bilirubin level and that 5% of the population enjoy a slightly raised level as the norm, its a condition called 'Gilberts'. These people never have any problems.
    Even after all the info, I still had my doctor call me three days later to explain to my fella what he had told me.....and he said that 30 years ago doctors would not even normally tell a patient about such a small raise in bilirubin, as its not worth worrying about. Its just that these days they have to. He told me not to worry btw!
    I am convinced that my own raised level was due to the act that this time I had a fasting blood test and because I hadn't eaten in 15 hours, this was the reason.I now know that our bodies have different levels at different times for different reasons, and this comforts me.
    x

Thread Information