Thread: Is this IBS?

Is this IBS?

I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago and recognise my symptoms every time; it's always the same. I'll eat something (unfortunately I have not been able to pinpoint what food it is although it's often beef which I have cut out), get the awful stomach cramps then constipation, then awful diarrhea and the pains will only go once I have been to the toilet. I have found no medication has helped really but I'm looking into getting something else.

Anyway, recently I have had a strange mix of symptoms which I have never had before and I'm not sure if this could be IBS/a stomach bug/something else. It started a few weeks ago when I woke up with awful cramps which I thought could be IBS, however I have never been woken up by IBS and it has happened a few times since. Also now every time I eat, even if it's a biscuit, I get bad cramps. Without being too icky, I get really gassy/bloated (big pressure in my stomach, it hurts a lot) and go to the toilet SO much. The other week I thought I would never stop going it went on for hours and hours!

Also, I have a constant hunger feeling...even if I have had a three course meal I still feel really hungry afterwards. I wake up starving in the morning and I'm always snacking to make the hunger pains go away (which doesn't usually work).

Anyway I just wondered what people think these symptoms can be; the worst is the bloated and pressure feeling as well as always being hungry.

Any help would be appreciated! xx

Re: Is this IBS?

Blimey Cher

I honestly have no idea to be honest with you because i don't suffer with IBS. However i do know of others here who do suffer, so hang in there as i'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.

I just wanted to give you a hug and say that i hope you feel better real soon.

Love Lisa
    xxx

Hi honey, yes sounds like IBS to me. If carrys on for more than a couple a days though, I would see your GP, maybe can give you summat else. sending you many hugs. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Thanks Lisa

Hey Jane, I have had this for over a month now. I thought that too but I can't ignore the constant hunger feeling which isn't a symptom of IBS and I have never had that before. Also I know that IBS isn't supposed to wake you up in the night and that is worrying me. Also I only ever got IBS once a week, now I'm getting bad pains every day...anyway I'm going to the doctors tomorrow morn as it could be a stomach bug or something xx

Cherbear

The only thing that came to mind when you said you were hungry all the time was worms. I am not saying you have them but just my thoughts.

I don't think it is a stomach bug as that would tend to make you sick etc.

Hope the docs can give you some answers.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nicola, my boyfriend mentioned that as a possibility. I do get very bad nausea although I haven't been sick. Just getting so sick of the pain, not sure what to do really hopefully the doctor can give me some answers :(

xx

Cherbear, I've been getting IBS for best part on 10 years now. Luckily don't get the constipation/diarrhoea but I do get the spasms, which can be so bad it hurts to breath! I also get the bloating, I normally end up looking like I'm pregnant or the size of the hot air balloon. Sadly none of the medication I've tried works, so I tend to just use a hot water bottle and curl up in the foetal position til it goes away. Not ideal when you have to work but there you go.

I also get the nausea when I have a really bad episode, get cold sweats too. I know it sounds silly but it can go away sometimes as quickly as it came on so for me I think a lot of it may be stress related.

I havnt been diagnosed with IBS more Anxiety Bowels as my Doc puts it. He gave me Buscopan for stomach cramps which you can buy at chemist, think tesco have it. I find it helps with cramps and I too woke up with cramps and had to go straight away. I also was given Sturgeron travel sickness tablets with really helped my nausea.

Annie

Thread Information