Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Hospital - what happened to me and what happens next!

Out of Hospital - what happened to me and what happens next!

I felt that I needed to do this post now I am out of hospital (got out on Monday this week) and explain what happened to me and what is happening in the future. I will keep it as brief as I can as there is so much that has happened to me but for now I will just outline the details.

As some of you know I was admitted to Stevenage hospital by my GP on Thursday 18th September with a Crohn's flare up and I stayed there until Tuesday the following week when I was transferred to a private hospital for one night. I had been in a lot of pain and was told that I was very very ill at the time.

I got out on Wednesday 24th with some steroids and antibiotics and thought that was the end of it all! I rested at home the next couple of days.

In the early hours of Saturday morning (2.17am to be precise) I was still awake and Alex had just come to bed. I told him that I had some chest pain. It was right in the middle between both breasts and I also had an ache in my right shoulder. We thought it best to call 999 as I had been so poorly the previous week.

The paramedic arrived in 3 minutes - Pretty impressive - followed by an ambulance. They did an ECG and said they were taking me to Bedford hospital for a check-up. I wasn't best pleased about this having just got out of hospital but decided it was for the best.

When I got to A&E they told me I was having a heart-attack there and then!I just burst into tears and couldn't believe it. How could I possibly be having a heart attack at my age?

I was thrombalised but it didn't work so they told me I would have to be transferred to Papworth heart hospital for further investigations.

When I got there I had a clot dispersed from one artery and a stent put in.

Later that day I was in so much pain with the Crohn's that they had no choice but to send me back to Bedford as Papworth did not have the medical staff to look after gastric problems.

I was admitted to the Coronary Care Unit for one night but then transferred to CCC (Critical Care Complex - used to be called Intensive Care) early on Sunday morning as I needed close monitoring and one-to-one care.

They put a central line in my neck and I was attached to a heart monitor and blood pressure monitor, had a catheter put in, a tube down my throat to drain "gunk" from my stomach and put on an intravenous drip for fluids. I was in a real mess and loads of pain.

After 4 days I was transferred to a general ward and spent the next 6 weeks there.

I have 4 or 5 abscesses on the outside of my bowel and my uterus and had to have a drain inserted through my abdomen and into the largest of the abscesses to drain the pus off.

This drain was only removed last Friday and I now have a stoma type bag that is stuck on and is still collecting the pus coming from the hole that is still linked to the abscesses.

The surgeons were desperate to operate but couldn't because of the heart attack and hence the long delay in my recovery. The cardiologist has said that they do not want me operated on until at least 3 months and ideally 6.

Since getting out of hospital I have had a lot of pain still and have no idea what the future holds in terms of an operation or more treatment. The doctors are at a loss to know why the abscesses are still draining after 8 weeks and I have had numerous CT scans and Barium X-rays etc.

So for now I am out and at home but waiting to see what happens next.

I understand there was a collection organised on here for me and I will find that post and have a read. Thanks to everyone that donated and I will be buying something with the money so please watch this space.

I owe a huge thanks to Alex who came to the hospital every single day for 8 weeks to see me (sometimes twice a day) and he brought me in everything I needed to keep me occupied and with home comforts. Thanks to all those friends on here that sent cards and text me for updates and sent well wishes and even presents. I was really touched by the sentiments and kindness of everyone.

That's all for now if you managed to read this far! I will update again when I have news on what happens to me next.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Out of Hospital - what happened to me and what happens next!

I don't know what to say! What a lot to cope with, it sounds like you've coped pretty well though.

Please take it easy and get yourself better!

Oh Nic, how awful for you

Hope you get well very soon.

Love Kate xxx

Sorry to hear about everything that has gone on nicola, sounds like u really been through the mill. I hope u start to feel better soon. Take care of urself and make sure u rest, best wishes hun, luv kayliegh xx

Blimey. I'm new here but Mike mentioned you'd "been in hospital for a bit".... but that's pretty intense. Hope there is some improvement soon.

Don't work too hard at anything - even the forum - for a bit. You're likely to be fairly week after all those weeks of hospital food & bedrest even without the impact of your illnesses.

Nic

I will NEVER forget finding out what had happened to you. When i heard the words 'Heart Attack' i froze, to know that a dear friend was so ill was a nightmare to say the least. I also thought 'but why?', she is far too young to be having this sort of thing but you had been so poorly leading up to this and i suppose this would have contributed.

Just want to let people know how damn brave and strong you have been though all of this, the Crohns, the absesses and the heart attack, all the procedures, the up's and the downs, having to be away from home for so long, going without food, all the setbacks ect. You have been amazing gal, you really have.

I am so happy you are home and truely on the road to recovery. And well done for giving up all the things you have had to. (bloomin docs) Lol

Love you loads mate
    Lisa
    xxx

P.s Alex has been an absolute trooper keeping us all up to date, looking after Nic, NMP, Work and the cats!

(((((((((((((((((((((((Nic))))))))))))))))))))))) lass

Fingers crossed you get better soon

All have missed you

Jaco xxx

So sorry you have been through such a lot Nic

I hope you continue to recover at home and start to feel better soon. Thinking of you

Karen xx

Ive missed you too mate

Yo have been so brave going through so much, hope you are soon on the mend.

Andrea
    xxxxx

oh my gosh thats terrible - i hope you feel better very soon x

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information