Thread: My panic demon !

My panic demon !

Hi all,
    Just thought I would drop my initial post into this part of the forum as its panic attacks that currently blight my life.
    I had my first attack two years ago, and at the time, it was mis-diagnosed as a mini-stroke. That diagnosis in itself was enough to make anyone panic (no pun intended) and it has led me into two years of situations that have resulted in rather uncomfortable and worrying panic scenarios.

The initial attack that I had has now become symptomatic of the subsequent attacks that I have suffered. I am fortunate in that my attacks are few and far between but nevertheless, no less scary or debilitating.

Although I have yet to get to the bottom of what started it all off (I suspect a rather stressfull period in my personal life) my attacks manifest themselves in moments when I find myself struggling to find a word in a conversation or if I momentarily forget what I was planning to do at any given moment in time. Most people pass these situations off (quite rightly) as brief moments of forgetfulness but for me it is the trigger to a panic attack.

My last attack (a few days ago) was triggered by such a situation.
    I was trying to figure out how to do something on a new computer that I had recently purchased and I was giving it my full and dedicated attention. My wife walked into the room and started to talk to me about a problem that she was having with her mobile phone. Now, what was happening was that I was giving my complete attention to my problem and doing a typical "yes dear" type response to my wifes conversation i.e. not really listening.

As it was something that my wife was not expecting me to help her with anyway, she left the room and I carried on with my computer problem. After a couple of minutes, I had fixed my problem and my mind jumped back to the conversation that I had (or should have had) with my wife. In that split second i could not recall what my wife had said and I went into a blind panic and convinced myself that I was going mad. The reality of course was that I was just not really paying attention to my wife and I was giving the vast bulk of my attention to the problem that I had with my PC.

Anyway, after running downstairs in an ever increasing state of panic I was somewhat pacified by the fact that my wife had even forgotten what it was she had been speaking to me about ! However, it was too late. The panic attack had taken hold and I have been in a mild anxious state since then.

This kinda' summarises my panic trigger and I hope that I can eventually come to terms with it and then, over time, eradicate the irrational thoughts that initiate my attacks.

I am seeking some counselling (CBT?) and I am trying to cope without resorting to medication. The internet appears to be full of good common sense advice and I have gained more confidence in the past few hours browsing than I have with many sessions with my GP.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy off-load but I think the one thing we all should know is that it is good to talk...or rather type

I look forward to the support that I already feel I am receiving just by browsing these forums.

Good Mental Health....................yes I'm a Frasier fan

krog.

Re: My panic demon !

Hi hun

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, it is DAME hard to learn about panic anxiety, its such a complexed thing.

Sometimes it's very hard to know where the first pa came from, you are right hun, it can come from a very stressfull time of your life and what you are left with, IS the automatic response to you triggers.

You said you where mis-diagnosed, sorry to hear this I do have a little insight of what can happen if mis-diagnosed, WELL not so much mis-diagnosed, but if they don't know what the problem is.

My daughter had probs at just age 3 years, it did take them 3 years to come up with panic, anxiety but, like you, the patten has been set, the programming had gone all wrong and it took US as a family, a long time to right the wrongs panic, anxiety did to her.

I can only go off what you have written and give my own oppinon.

You say they said you had a stoke, ohhhh boy, this must have been soooo frighting for you at the time The mind, IS a powerfull thing, it can target what we fear the most and I feel, for you, your mind it still MAY be seeing danger with this.

If your mind has been programmed that you have had a stroke, symptoms, forgetfullness, lack of consontration. This can send fear in anyone, BUT, you where told that you HAVE NOT had one, MMmm, I feel the mind is still sensing danger there, hence your triggers. Your triggers are all around the head area YES. (thinking)

What you went through regarding thinking you had a stroke, I feel was truma and your mind is being reminded of that truma each time you get your triggers, it can become an automaitic response, your flight, fight response is triggered, your mind, thinks its in danger (its a false alarm )

Learning to switch this response off, is not easy, it takes alot of hard work, time and the right support. YOU CAN change the way you think, YOU CAN switch these trigger off.

My last trigger to get rid of was in an airport and boarding a plane, Mmm, I know this was my last trigger and why it was harder, because, this was where I had my first pa, BUT HAY, I DID IT, flew out this year, with NOOOO panic and NOOO high levels of anx, YE, go me, LOL

BUT, IT CAN be done, CBT is very good therapy for this, I have heard good things about CBT,

The first thing I will say to you RIGHT NOW, is believe you can get better, REALLY belive, this gives you good foundations to work from.

This site is such a great place to be, I do hope you get out of this site what I have AND THAT IS, feeling better.

YOU TAK CARE

LOVE JILLXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Jill,

Many many thanks for the response to my post.
    The fact that other people are in similar situations to myself is a MASSIVE boost. No more suffering in silence for me

Its been less than 24hrs since I found this forum but in that short time my confidence in fighting and accepting my 'problem' has increased a great deal.

I have even been thinking of ways to try and use the collective goodwill on this site to an even greater degree and I will hopefully post about that later.......although it may fall on deaf ears

Anyway, thanks again for your support and I look forward to the coming weeks and months of help and advice that I can both receive AND give.

All the best,

krog (Kev).

My Blog
    “Fear is a habit; so is self-pity, defeat, anxiety, despair, hopelessness and resignation. You can eliminate all of these negative habits with two simple resolves: I can!! and I will!!”

@pureobunny

Hi there,
    Yippee.....someone with my symptoms
    My main problem is that I now try to think in advance of what I want to say or even do. This for me is the completely wrong thing to do as it puts even more pressure on me not to mess up ! I'm very gradually learning not to worry about it too much although it is by far the most difficult thing I ever tried to achieve in my life !

At the moment I am finding that music is helping me a lot because listening to a song, even if its just background music, seems to distract me from trying to constantly 'think-ahead' about what my next actions or conversation should be.

I know its gonna' be a tough beast to tame but like everyone on this forum, I am doing my best to come to terms with it.

Feel free to drop me a message if you want to discuss about our 'shared' symptoms

Cheers,

krog.

My Blog
    “Fear is a habit; so is self-pity, defeat, anxiety, despair, hopelessness and resignation. You can eliminate all of these negative habits with two simple resolves: I can!! and I will!!”

Thread Information