Thread: on the way to depression

on the way to depression

Hiya.. I have been very very anxious since I started university and have to fight my negative thoughts about leaving all day every day pretty much and I have started to exhibit signs of depression. Things just seem so black at the moment sorry to rant :(

matt x

Re: on the way to depression

Matt,

Are you living away at Uni? Is this your first year?

The reason I ask is that my son moved away this September for his first year at Uni. He has never suffered anxiety or depression and was very happy at Uni for the first few weeks.

He then got very homesick and said he felt crushingly lonely and wanted to come home for the weekend. We live an 8 hour train journey away and he wasn't able to easily return home so he decided to stick it out. He now says it was the best thing he did, not coming home as he faced up to it and got through it.

It's a big deal moving away from home plus the change of lifestyle at Uni. Could these be contributory factors to your own depression?

Kate

Hiya Matt, this sounds like pretty much the pattern that I followed. The anxiety has started to wear you down. Have you been to see your G.P? The sooner you go, the quicker you will get out of this hole? Sounds like you could do with some cognitive behaviour therapy or similiar.
    I found that self help is the best method. You don't have to change much but by changing little things in your life things can start to seem brighter. It takes alot of effort and motivation but if you can muster some up, it really does help.
    A change is as good as a rest! Good luck!!

Matt have you been diagnosed with depression before? If so it might be important to see someone before it gets any worse? Can you see a student counsellor? He/she might be able to offer some extra support to ease you through this bad patch.

Thread Information