Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen doctor - need reassurance - she didn't give it!

Seen doctor - need reassurance - she didn't give it!

Hello all,
    Well the palps are still there everyday, ranging fro about 5-30 a day, hard thumps, sometimes painful. I went to the doctor about it yesterday evening as I am getting increasingly upset about having them - and now I am even more scared. She is referring me for a 24 hour monitor. When I asked if she sees a lot of people with them she said "sometimes.. not having them as often as you though" - great!! And said they would be looking for arrthmias, which can be fatal :'( - Also my blood pressure was high again (131/84) and this seems to be happening over the past few months - I am only 26 and never had high blood pressure before. I am on the pill so of course I am worried about that too.
    I woke up feeling sick this morning - I thought I would be reassured at the doctors but it has made me feel worse - the 24 holter isn't until 22 december and I don't know how I am going to get through the next month. I am supposed to be going skiing with my family and I usually love skiing but I don't want to go, I am so worried I will suffer a fatal arrythmia on the slopes.
    I just want to know what is wrong with me. She didn't even mention anxiety and it was clear (I thought) that I was anxious - so now I can't even believe it is that. Is having them everyday that often? I guess it is for normal people... I feel I can't live my life anymore..

Miss L

p.s. can I wear the holter monitor to work easily? I don't want to have to take a day off. What a sh*t christmas this will be

Re: Seen doctor - need reassurance - she didn't give it!

Hi there Miss L. Please dont be too upset about these palps. Im not too sure why this doctor scared you in this way, but if she really thought you had a problem she wouldnt make you wait a month to have this test. Ive had loads of 24hr holter tests, and exercise ecgs where they make you run on a treadmill and test your heart and seen numerous cardiologists over the years. Ive had these palps for many years, as have alot of others here, and they are just some people's way to react to adrenaline. But everyone gets them, its just that not everyone feels them.

You're only 26 and i doubt very much theres anything wrong with your heart. Your anxiety took you to the docs, so my guess is that your anxiety is making them happen more. Ive just come through a period of having them all day every day for the last few months. They're gone now and may not come back for ages, but if they do i know they wont harm me.

As for your blood pressure...in no way is that a high reading. Thats within normal range. Yesterday my bp was 145 over 88 and i was happy with that, it has been much higher believe me, but im alot older than you and it does tend to increase with age.

Please try not to worry too much, you'll be fine honestly. The doctor didnt tell you to stop everything you were doing and go straight along to the hospital for tests did she? So she's obviously not that bothered, some docs can be a bit tactless in what they say and the holter is just routine. Go on your ski trip and enjoy it ok?

Best wishes
    Cathy xxx

131/84 is perfect blood pressure i am not sure where you have got the high from..

high would be between 150/180 systolic (top figure)
    And 90-120 diastolic (bottom).

thanks so much for your reply Cathy

I guess the high blood pressure could be from me worrying about these for the last few months. I know the holter is routine and the only way I will know if these palps are actually benign or not. Unfortunately on the NHS here it takes about a month! I did ask her if I needed to stop exercise and she said not and probs ok for now as I have had them for so long - I just can't shake off the fear that something is wrong.. and the fear when I get them - it makes me want to not go out, in case I get them etc - which is silly! I just want them to calm down.. I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel at the moment! I can't accept they are normal...

xx

Thanks Nicky! I am just used to getting perfect 120/80 and on pill so I worry more...

Hello! Nope don't smoke and not overweight - which worried me I have high BP cos of something more serious

Its the combo with the ectopics too! Do you still get them?

Miss L,
    There is no way that your blood pressure is classed as high or even slightly high, 131/84 ? i cant understand how any doc would say this is high !

I hope it isn't! I guess for me it is high... relative I spose... I am hoping anxiety is making it worse as i can't think of an illness that would give me high blood pressure at my age?

The palps have started for the day :( - I feel so abnormal with them, really alone, you know?

ok Chick, well firstly, really really need to stop worrying about your blood pressure, it is perfectly normal, and when you had it taken at the docs, even if you think it was slightly high for you, it could well be back to its normal 120/80 by now, just being at the docs can raise it alot, but it saying that, even if yours stayed at 131/84 for the 10 yrs its a perfectly fine reading, so stop worrying ! ;-)

As for your palps, well i had an ecg about a month ago, and luckily that put my mind at rest, i have not had the 24 hour monitor, but i think if the doc thought there was something patentionaly fatal there, that he/she would not have hesitated sending you straight to the hospital. You can be sure of that, docs know what they are doing these days, you should try and be assured by that.

The only other thing that has worked for me and my palps, is to just destract myself from sitting thinking about them all the time, and they seem to go away. I know, "easier said than done "

Just you think how reassured your going to feel when your tests come back fine !!! :-)

Hope you feel better soon , take care

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information