Thread: Fluoxetine 20mg

Fluoxetine 20mg

Hello longtime since I last posted, need some advice on this medication. Fluoxetine.

I've begun counselling sessions with my local health authourity. I decided to go with some kind of counselling as I passed my 1 year of trying to cope with panic / anxiety attacks since they began without the results I really was hoping for. Obviously for them to cease to exist.

My first session was information gathering and I looked forward to my second which came three weeks later. At this second session, again it was further information gathering but with a more individual air to it, going indepth and very personal rather than the run of the mill set questions I had experienced and envisaged would take place at the first.

During the session my counsellor asked me if I would consider taking anti-depression medication as my scores in HAD were close on both counts Anxiety / Depression. I have always been anti medication and found it difficult to grasp the idea but after some thought I agreed to it.

The medication I have been asked to take is Fluoxetine 20mg (Prozac), initially for 1 month to see how I manage.

Can anyone with experience with this medication please give me their Pros and Cons regarding any aspects they feel would be worth knowing.

Thank you once again and sorry it has taken so long to post on this life saving forum.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I guess your counsellor must know you to have suggested fluoxetine.. are you familiar with your GP at all? what do they think of it - do they think it is right for you?
    I had a psychiatrist assess me and give me fluoxetine 20mg but he had only met me one time and it turned out this wasn't the drug for me and my counsellor and GP both didn't think it was right for me, so I was changed to a different one. But it is purely personal as what is right for someone may not be for someone else and depends entirely on your symptoms.. Personally I believe it is a great AD for depression, but not such a great one for anxiety..
    and they do take a while to kick in.. up to 4 weeks.. so you may get a few side effects to start with but thats normal..
    good luck and feel free to ask anything else!
    Let us know how you get on,
    Lisa
    xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

Thanks for the reply Lisa,

My counsellor has met me once, my doctor is in my opinion quite uncaring and never seems to have the time to discuss matters.

I've taken two days medication and the side effects that concern me most are dizziness / sleeplessness / visual disturbance and drowsiness. My girlfriend was not very happy when I came home and showed her the Prozac, I'm starting to think maybe it's the wrong medication for me.

I know this type of medication takes time but having felt some of the side effects, drowsiness and visual disturnbance I'm rather concerned. This is mainly due to the fact I work 30 miles from home and I can't afford to be having these side effects when driving, obviously.

Steve

Steve - I understand your girlfriends concern, you shouldn't really be driving on them.. can you get signed off for a week while youget used to them? sorry your GP is not very concerned..
    i know some people do get concerned with the word prozac but I do know of many people whom it has helped enormously.. is there any way you can see your counsellor/doc in the next few days to discuss these side effects/driving etc..?
    do u suffer anxiety/panic or depression? mine started with panic attacks and anxiety and i think this led to a mild depression too.. prozac made me more anxious! and i lost my appetite.. but you may get these side effects on any AD you try. have you tried any CBT?
    Lisa

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

I spoke to my counsellor regarding the medication and expressed my concerns todo with driving. She was very understanding and offered me another meeting with my GP, suggesting other medication. I asked her if we could not just begin the counselling first and then see how we went with that. This is the way we shall be heading thankfully

I don't feel I have any depression, maybe the occasional low mood but this isn't often. Although, I have considered the anxiety does lower my mood at these times when I feel it's getting ontop of me.

Thanks LisaS

Hi
    Prozac can take up to 7 weeks to start working properly. I am on 40mg a day.

As you said you can experience side effects similar to this when starting Prozac or any kind of medication.

I was advised to give it 2 weeks and the side effects should wear off, if I got any. Luckily I didnt. They are working very well for me, I have done many things since being on them and im thinking of dropping back down to 20mg soon.

Can I say that as far as I know, Prozac is for depression, not aimed at anxiety.

My advise would be give them a couple of weeks and if you are still experiencing side effects, then maybe go back to the doctor. Obviously, if your side effects get very bad then go back to your GP.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Steve

**I don't feel I have any depression, maybe the occasional low mood but this isn't often. Although, I have considered the anxiety does lower my mood at these times when I feel it's getting ontop of me.*

and these are perfectly normal appropriate healthy emotions to have when going through these sorts of problems- we are fed up, sad and very despondant - do not allow anyone to mistake these emotions for real depression .

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Steve

How are you on these tablets now? I've just been prescribed them by my doctor and someone on another forums posted a long list of side effects that scared the hell out of me.

I was on Citalopram last year and tried slashing my wrists while i was on them so refused any more medication. It still came as a bit of a shock though when the doctor told me it's the best thing to do at the moment, she even wanted me to visit the Mental Health Team at the hospital, but I got into a right state.

It's freaked me out to say the least and I'm really scared I'll try and do something again while on them.

If you can give any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Julie

Thread Information