Thread: Tired of avoiding things

Unhappy Tired of avoiding things

Hey All

I've been having panic attacks and anxiety for about 10 years, more recently the agoraphobia is taking its toll. It's really upsetting and so restricting. Almost everything feels scary right now - routes and situations to avoid and then the disappoint in myself because I've avoided something. So the cycle continues... :(

The main thing that affects me right now is being far from home or being in open spaces - big open roads and the likes. I do it, I do it for my husband and son but the mental stress in doing things and then I'm knackered afterwards, mentally tired and grouchy.

My anxiety and agoraphobia symptoms are worse around pmt time, heightened - really difficult to get on with things and relax. I know that low self asteem plays party to it but I don't know how to fix it.

I've seen counsellors, psycologists and so far cbt has worked on part of my problem with one medic but he moved out of the area and the guy who is working with me now I'm not convinced by - not sure if it's the way I'm feeling right now but the symptoms feel a whole lot worse. Does this happen when you confront it does anyone know? Does working on self esteem make things easier?

I recently had a baby too and I'm terrified of that affecting my low spells so probably putting more pressure on myself there. Coupled with that I go back to work soon and I don't like my job... Maybe my leave from work has given me waaay too much thinking time?

Is there anyone who has overcome agoraphobia who can help me believe I can get passed it? This has been going on so long now I'm not sure...

Help

Re: Tired of avoiding things

Hi and welcome

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hi and welcome, you will find lots of helpful people on this site.

Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

The Sticky Kitchen on facebook!

Hi Fragglep,

to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I can understand how you're feeling with the panic & anxiety as I've also had it for almost 10 years. I find that the symptoms get worse if I'm under any extra stress.

Best wishes xx

Thread Information