Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CBT - Am I missing the point?

CBT - Am I missing the point?

Hi everyone,

There always seems to be such a big emphasis on CBT as a treatment and I know that NICE recommend it for various psychological problems including panic attacks, depression, OCD but for some reason it just doens't work for me. I am currently having therapy, it is my second attempt and I just don't feel that I am much better than when I started out. Does anyone else find that CBT hasn't worked for them? Most posts seem to be about successful CBT.

I do know that I am very set in my ways, it is not easy to change my opinions about my panic attacks, and my depression. I know the rational explanations for panic attacks and I understand why I avoid situations, I have tried to face situations and stuck with them until the end, but on the whole I am successful in avoiding most panic provoking situations still, and find it extremely difficult to face them. I know I will not die, or go crazy during a panic but that doesnt stop me from panicking.

I am pretty much resigning myself to having to accept that I have limited functioning or stressed out functioning forever. I just cannot bare to think what my future may be like, my children are getting older and I just feel like I let them down so much.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had CBT.

Cheers.

Freaky

Re: CBT - Am I missing the point?

Hi Freaky (yes, I've officially left, but no one will delete my account).

My experience of CBT was the same as yours. I understand rationally why I behave as I do but knowing that doesn't help me control my behaviour.

I think CBT probably works quite well for people who aren't naturally introspective or haven't read up on psychology etc. And people whose problems perhaps aren't that severe. I can't begin with it.

I need something that addresses my unconscious mind, not my conscious mind. I'm still looking. With increasing desperation.

Bestest,

F
    And fill it with devils and dust.
    - Bruce Springsteen

I have been having CBT since April.
    I am NO better.

My therapist said i was one of his only patients that hadn't made any progress in his 30 year (i think it was 30) career!!!!

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

i dont think cbt works if you are depressed?

i also think mindfulness cbt works better, i wouldnt give up on it in the long term, but maybe you just need someone to offload to before you can get on with the real work of cbt - but i know that if you are having nhs cbt then you are limited, shame but true - if you can go private you get someone to listen and to guide you with the cbt - btw, i am not loaded, but i am committed, and i am currently sliding into debt, however i figure that the better i feel th emore productive i will be, and i seem to be right - my contiinuing committment to myself is paying dividends - but i think you need to be ready - you can tdo it for anyone else, it has to be for yourself - then it works

Personally, I think CBT does work for the majority of people - but like everything else, it won't suit everyone. And that's perfectly normal.

Franz, you said a number of things - I think people who do have a knowledge of psychology, etc are in a way, more likely to make good progress with CBT, as it can be more understandable, etc. And also, in my opinion, it doesn't depend on the severity of the anxiety. There are however, other factors which play a role in CBT not having an effect.

Freaky, some people do find that CBT doesn't do anything for them. And most of the time, that is the case - what you must do is to continue to look out for other therapies such as hypnotherapy, TFT, etc. You can still get better, it's never too late hun. You can do it!

Lots of love and hugs,

Wolfie xxx

~"...to reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people :
    Yes, We Can!!!! ~

Wolfieeeeee

My sister-in-law was on medication for panic attacks and had to come off it when she was pregnant. She had CBT courses and they worked wonders for her. She no longer suffers from panic.

I had CBT too and thought it would do the same for me but it didn't work at all. I can see the point of it and how it works for people but it did not work for me. Personally I think its easy to put people with panic under one umberalla when that is not the case at all. I think the more deep seated and longer you have suffered the less likely CBT is to work for you.

All the best

Nechtan

Hi, this will sound very strange.......
    But I think CBT is like Physiotherapy - it is something YOU DO ....... not something you get.
    I had CBT and I thought the therapist was mocking my ailments (why do you think you are so special? etc)
    I also think that "they" throw information at you - that you already know BUT BUT you do not know how to put it into practice - you / we / I need to be guided through it as I find some exercises, such as changing my breathing pattern, Absolutely terrifying - the response??? well if you are not prepared to try........
    Hope this helps??
    June

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am glad to know that I am not alone, but at the same time wish that CBT had worked for us. Franz, good to see you back, I have to agree that if my unconscious mind was somehow 'tapped into' then I may be more responsive to CBT. Wolfie, I did try hypnotherapy a few years ago but only managed one session because I just could not relax at all. I have recently attempted to read Richard Bandlers book on NLP and How to change your life, but I couldn't get through a chapter without crying! It was interesting that emma suggested it might not work if you are depressed, but they use CBT for depression too. I have to admit though my memory is pretty poor and my concentration isn't that great either, particularly when I am low in mood. Maybe I am still not ready. I am glad you are having some success, I hope it continues.

Whilest the severity of anxiety may or may not influence effectiveness of CBT I do believe that in my case if I had CBT in the early days, when my panic attacks and avoidance behaviour started, I might have responded better. This is pretty much what you said Nechtan. I raised this issue with the psychologist however and he said "not necessarily so" but I cannot remember how he explained it.

Belle I am sorry you haven't had any success either, are you still seeing your therapist?

Finally June, I understand exactly what you mean, and I do know that you get out of therapy what you put into it. That doesn't mean I haven't tried but I do know that it is mostly easier to put myself off facing a situation, than to challenge my fears head on. I appreciate that consistently practising gradually desensitizes you, but it doesn't with me....arghhhhh.

It does help a lot to read your perspectives, I really appreciate them so thanks. I wish you all the best with or without CBT.

Freaky

hi freakedout/all - firstly i have a brill new book about mindfullness based cbt - it is written by professors who have had funding from nhs to study and research mindfullness - beleive me it will be the next thing being used on the nhs coz they can do it in groups and so save money! but from personal experience it does work

secondly they do advise that you dont start cbt when you are currently depressed, they suggest one to one therapy or meds or just time to get you through the worst. this therapy does take work, like june says it doesnt happen to you, you make it happen for you.

you didnt get like this overnight so why would anyone expect to get better straight away - basically you have rewired your brain to be nagative and anxious and you have to reverse that process, it takes time and pain. if you are expecting too much this could also be a block to it working. you say you did hypnotherapy but you couldnt relax? well im not relaxed alot of the time but i still do things anyway, its better than doing nothing!

the brilliant thing about mindfullness is that you are not expected to rid yourself of anything, more you are taught to relax and open to your negative emotions and to sit with them, welcoming them and trying to learn for m them. you say you cried when you read the book - really that is good, what is wrong with crying - it wont kill you, it actually makes you feel better and if you really go into yourself you start to learn why that pain is there - then through mindfullness you can make positive choices that will enhance your life.

also to the person who said tha tif your probs are long standing you will prob not get nay benefit - thats not true, anyone can be helped by cbt or mindfullness, i have a 22 year history, and i am eventually learning to be with myself no matter how i feel, to take care of myself and support myself, this is the key to mindfullness - you let all thoughts and feeling come, you watch them from afar and you dont listen to what some of them are telling you, thoughts are thoughts they are not always the truth - and then you look after yourself, something that alot of us may not have been doing for a very long time - you will be amazed at how differnet you feel when you start o be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy

Hi freakedout
    Sorry that must have sounded bad
    Finally June, I understand exactly what you mean, and I do know that you get out of therapy what you put into it. (That was their opinion that i was quoting - sorry) That doesn't mean I haven't tried but I do know that it is mostly easier to put myself off facing a situation, than to challenge my fears head on. I appreciate that consistently practising gradually desensitizes you, but it doesn't with me....arghhhhh.
    I meant that it is that the medics criticise us and imply that we are not trying I have read enough of your posts to know that you are trying every day to understand what is happening to you / us and why!!!!
    The CBT therapist and on another occasion a group therapy psychiatry team - gave us so much paper information (easily 50 sheets) BUT did not give us any physical?? help such as the group doing "deep breathing exercises together" --- which would have taken some of the fear/ uncertainty out of the practice.......... on my own I CAN NOT do these exercises they frighten the life out of me.
    Like you I do try so hard but they still make me feel guilty........ i should be better by now they say
    Best wishes
    June

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information