Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible suffering since I remember

Terrible suffering since I remember

Hi,
    I am a new user to this forum.I am an M.B.B.S doctor like to achieve many things in life but being captured by Panic,Generalized anxiety since birth just living life life a dead person.I cannot tell you how much I suffered on the hand of anxiety and panic.
    1)During my schooling I was a book-worm but very far behing or even none at extra-curricular activities.It was not the case that I did not want to play but I just could not felt the courage of playing or doing any thing besides just a book-warm.
    2)My parents buy a bicycle for me but i was so afraid of criticism or what else that I never ride on it.
    3)During my medical college life I did not dare to give any presentation in front of my seniors.Whenever I just think about trying to give a presentation I felt so much terrified that I just gave up.

Now,I like to do postgraduation but I am sure that you will call me mad that after having such a personality I like to do Postgraduation.

But b]DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTION FOR ME

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE give me some advice.

Thanks.

Ak

hi ak,

ime so sorry,to hear about your suffering,but you are amongst friends,here on this site.

first things first..go to the home page,and read all the great information,thats available..then read these posts,you will find a lot of people have suffered from an early age,just like you.

then write down any questions,that you may want answers to,and post them on the forum.

please let us know wot services are available in bangladesh,to help you with your problems,such as medications,behaviour therapy etc.

in the meantime..best wishes..bryan.

Hiya AK,

Welcome aboard, you are amongst family here. Alot of people here have suffered since birth like yourself, and for those of us who have`nt, it does seem that way. As it can seem a lifetime, just in the middle of having an attack. I am sorry for your suffering through your entire life, but if you look at the positives, you are quite an accomplished individual, inspite of the anxiety/panic. You have done so well for yourself. There is nothing wrong with being a book worm, sometimes the reading can take our minds off of the anxiety/panic. Like Bryan suggested, go to the home page and read all of the information available, you will find tons of it here. All of it is very good, and you may even find some techniques that work for you. Try them all, as you will find something that works!!!! Keep coming back to post, to let us know how you are getting along, if you have any particular questions, post them and someone will answer them promptly. Do take care, and think positive thoughts.

Take care dear,

Diana xxx

Hi becez. I suffered from debilitating panic (often 24 hours a day) for more than 12 years. during that time I did a deegree and got a first. It seems that the things I considered to be a problem in my personality were those that also helped me achieve. It was not easy, but education at that level were the start of my beginning to change my life for the better. Go for the post-grad. - if I could afford it I would do it. Stay in touch on the site!

Dear bryan,Diana and irenehester thankyou very much for your kind replies.I am really grateful that you all understand my problem.

Yes,I have seen some great informaion on this site before coming to message board and these informations are definitely helpful.

Some points on which I like to get some advice from you are:
    1)An irony for me by suffering through this condition is that,when a patient comes to a doctor with a pathological disease we prescribe him the medicine and the patient attitude and other things have nothing to do as such with his cure.But what happens in Patient suffering from Panic state and anxiety is that more than anything else is his attitude or mental thinking which is talked about.
    Now here the contradiction for me lies in the point that if a person had so much control over his thinking than don't you think that he
    may not even suffered from such problem.
    2)It is also recognised that these mental problems has genetic component,so how could we come out of these problems when they have there roots in our genes.
    3)What do you think,the best possible line of action for me to overcome these problems.
    4)What could I do to improve my performance,particularly with reference to my profession,how
    can I become able to give presentations in wards and become able to deal with emergencies with
    courage,is there any remedy for it.
    There is some help available around my area,which is mainly based on medications and cognitive-behavioral therapy and I have myself have gone through these therapies for almost two year but didn't succeed.

Finally,I came to this forum seeing it as a last hope for me.

Loking forward for your help and suppot.

Bye.
    AK.

Ak

AK
    I think the best statement I've come across in my search for answers is: "The best way is always through", by Helen Keller, I think. It might not seem so when you project your thoughts forward, as in "I'll never be able to do a presentation in front of my seniors", but once you force yourself through it you'll find it less daunting. Keep doing it, challenge it, seek it out and you will defeat it if you're really determined. I have often fought with panic this way, refused to let it get me down. I honestly wish I didn't have to face this struggle, but that's the way it is and the way I am. I've found that acceptance and facing my fears, while not solving the problem, let me live with myself a lot easier.

Jim

Hi Becez,

Let's have a go with these points.

1) Most medicines you prescribe for chronic illnesses do not cure but treat the symptoms ie Hypertension, Diabetes , CHD, NSAI's for OA etc . Antibiotics cure but only due to the bodys immune system not being strong enough or it being a super bug...

I would ask you to reconsider about the patients attitude, if a insulin dependant diabetic has not got a good attitude and is non compliant either with meds or diet or the comorbidity factors it has a huge impact on their primary endpoints , this is true of most diseases if you think about it.

Only with some basic surgery does the pats attitude really not matter. Although reseach is showing that even here anaethatists and physios are less comfortable if the patients are unhappy about the surgery.

So anxiety and panic is similar but more vital.

A majority proportion of anxious people are very thorough thinkers and intelligent.
    It is this huge lateral risk management thinking that brings us to this in the first place as we get carried away with the ' What if's ' 'it might' that other people would not even consider and if it did they would dismiss instantly.

2) Having a gene is not a blue print for getting the disease - carriers !! The research jury is currently out of how much is actually in the genes and how much is learned behaviour. In the genes you may have a worry DNA but as each and every one of us can get over this anxiety with new learned behaviour, then the sooner you teach you kids to cope with worry the better.

3) There are several things that you can do to help yourself with these although they are not ‘cures’ in the traditional way as taking an antibiotic and the infection goes away completely.

Medication can help to give you a break from the worst part of panic but unless something else changes within you - when you come off the medication the issues remain and often the panic reoccurs.

Other avenues that do help include:

Breathing - Learn to breathe from your diaphragm, your tummy should rise and fall with your breath as well as your chest. Ensure your out breath is longer than the in one. A count of 4 in – 6 out is great. Use this as soon as you feel panic rising. Alternatively, hold your breath for a few seconds

Distraction- As soon as you feel the anxiety soaring and you get afraid – do something different. Change your environment, talk to someone, do something, distract yourself. It’s often enough to dissipate the panic .

Comfort yourself – be totally positive with yourself but do allow yourself to go with it. Keep giving yourself positive messages that this will pass naturally and cannot harm you- breath and distract.

Regular exercise – uses the adrenaline/ noradrenaline and the cortisol that are secreted when panic sets in and enhances endorphine production

Tai’ chi or Yoga – promotes complete relaxation as well as stretching. This has a cumulative effect so try it regularly. The meditation part also helps learn to still the mind and cumulatively is a very effective exercise to learn to use during panic.

Relaxation tapes are extremely useful . Find one you like and stick to it. Play it every day whether you are stressed or not and soon whenever you feel anxious just putting it on will relieve that tension .

Massage- releases the tension that builds up in your tissues. Often with anxiety we store it in major muscle groups apart from the usual chronic shoulders and neck so leg muscles etc can go into spasm. Reaction from the guts is also common, you may find you get wild disturbances.

When you are starting to feel anxious - Bach rescue remedy will take the edge off.. These are flower essences, are completely safe and have no sideeffects. A couple of squirts in a bottle of water and sip liberally all day. Additionally, I used Aspen for fear, Cherry plum for terror and Rock rose for control.

Nutritional supplements – having panic and anxiety is extremely draining on your body resources. A strong 50-100 mg Vit B complex supplement is highly

The key to getting over this is to do the feared thing at least 3 times
    The first time to prove you can actually get through it and survive
    the second time to find out how to do it properly and
    the third to find out whether you like it !!
    Meg

I never thought about it like that before!! and i never knew that.

I am going to take a print out of everything you have here and add to my 'new me' folder

The advise is great and it gives me a kind of tick list!!

Love
    lucky

Becez, I can feel your distress. I have had panic, and OCD since childhood. I still have these but at a lesser degree. What the others have posted to you are wonderful suggestions and insight as to what we all need. I am not educated about this type of thing just lived with it. For me I had to stop and think in depth what was prying on my mind and it usually came down to fear of rejection. When I reached a point when I truly felt less concerned at what others people thought of me and that we are all equal in spirit it helped me to feel better. I have a disability also that keeps me house bound and although I would love to have my physical life back it has given me the time to think about things. I have learned a meditation technique that helps me. It may sound kind of odd. I lay in a quiet room. I picture a box and wait for what ever is bothering me or causing me stress to a peer. It does I allow it to speak to me and tell me what is at the core of distress. Then I put it into the mental box close it and don't allow it to open. It sounds kind of kooky I know but it has helped me at times get to the source of my thoughts. LindaM

Hiya,

My advice is to definitely go for the post Grad. I've just finished my Masters degree and it was without doubt the best thing I've ever done. I made the most amazing friends, changed my whole way of thinking (about myself as well as life in general) and my confidence has soared. I even went from being unable to travel a short bus ride to University, to going to Amsterdam on a coach with my peers for 5 days (without my husband who has been my emotional crutch for years)! I am very proud of my achievements and have built them up so that I can now look back when I'm having a re-lapse and be reassured that I CAN and WILL overcome anything I am faced with in life.
    I wish a similar experience for you during your time as a post-grad, just take it one step at a time!!! It might change your life?
    As for presentations, you'd be surprised how terrified your fellow students also are!!! Don't see things you might not be that good at as failings, we learn from all experiences -good and bad- everything you do is a huge accomplishment especially when you suffer from an anxiety disorder!
    GOOD LUCK!
    prettyface110

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information