Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear of noisy neighbours

Fear of noisy neighbours

Hi all,

I've been posting up my problem in the General Anxiety page, but I'm starting to wonder if my problem has moved into the realms of becoming a phobia.

Here's the link to the original page

HTML Code:
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39480

I'm now at that point where even during the day, if I hear anything from downstairs or outside my body reacts in what I call an "adrenal dump" - my heart starts pounding, my stomach sinks, my hands start shaking, and my mind starts racing at a million miles an hour. It seems to be a classic panic attack, but it seems to be hearing outside noise (sudden noise like a dog, a door buzzer going, or a door banging) that brings it on.

It was / is originally tied to a fear about being kept awake / woken up at night by noisy neighbours, and despite the fact that this has happened only once in blue moon, it seems to be a real overiding fear of mine of late.

But when I start panicking even when the outside door bangs during the day, even though I know in my mind it's not a problem, my body seems conditioned to do the "adrenal dump".

Does this sound like a phobia? It seems to be just this specific situation that brings on the panic, and even thinking about it whilst somewhere else can cause the onset of an attack.
    The problem I have is that I can't avoid it, because it concerns me being in my flat, and I'm unsure about how to proceed to try to correct this behaviour (see the original thread for details about medication I'm on and where I am at the moment.)

Re: Fear of noisy neighbours

Ok, I've seen that one of the ways to cure phobias is to face them in a graded way (like spiders, first look at a photo of one, then see one from the other side of the room etc..)

If I wanted to try and conquer this phobia / fear I have over neighbours being noisy during the night, does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about exposing myself to it in a way which will be helpful.

In short, HOW DO I CONFRONT THIS FEAR?

No reply will be dismissed out of hand, I'd like to think I'm fairly open minded (despite having depression and anxiety!)

I hate having to listening to neighbours.I wouldnt say it was a phobia.I would class it as an intrusion which is why its stressfull.I built false walls with sound deadening .As yours are underneath,i would get some sound deadening carpet/underlay.I suppose if they are reasonable people you could have a word.If they are not then dont as they will more than likely get worse.

whitelight
    This in my opinion is not a phobia.
    Had the same problem with some neighbors.
    Put 4 stereo speakers right near the ceiling and when they made noise blasted them.
    Since the sound comes from the ceiling it sounds like it coming from them.
    Side neighbors same treatment.
    Speakers put against the wall,
    If that does not work use skype to wake them up when they are sleeping.
    still have the problem but it decreased.

I googled fear of neighbours today and this thread came up. I can identify with it word for word. I've also been taking mirtazpine for a long while now but it really doesn't touch the big fears.

Time seems to stop as I know it when a new neighbour is moving in. I seem to go into a type of ptsd where inside its like a war zone yet I look at the faces of my family around me and they aren't affected by it, dont see it how I do.

Anyone have any ideas on what creates this kinda of fear?

this is semi related. i can relate to some of what you're saying. but i had a BIG problem with someone at work playing unwanted music few years back. it's when some of my symptoms started. We had a pa system with the radio coming out, and also a guy was playing stuff from his speakers, so I could hear two musics coming at once, hours a day. Was literally driving me mental. I had all sorts of 'nervous' related symptoms/inc toilet breaks/flakey skin on hands

I went all the way from 'asking' the guy to stop, to seeing the boss. I didn't actually know the company wanted me to leave (various drawn out reasons which came down to company tax), so my complaints were just listened to and ignored. didnt know this at the time. That's my fault for treating authority by the book. (Had a few life direction changing moments, when i remember some of the bad advice i was given about the whole thing. Hasn't made me stronger as such, just more weary of b/s)

i dont think it's a phobia as such just " " south/mick above....can you do earplugs at night ?
    Last edited by evil monkey; 05-09-11 at 01:29.

Whitelight.

I have the same problem as you. You can read my posts in General anxiety and the introduce yourself Forums. Please take the time to read it and let me know if we have a similar problem.
    Last edited by Forest; 15-02-12 at 12:56.

as the nights are getting lighter and the days getting sunnier I am getting more and more anxious about what I may here by my neighbours.

Im glad its not just me, feel exactly the same, constantly checking if neighbours are out in gardens etc.

Hi Lilly Whites,

what do you think the answer is? Are we being silly about the whole situation as I think I am sometimes. But I Know I get very anxious when I go outside in the garden or just washing the car. I wish I knew the answer as sometimes it gets too much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information