Thread: Spiritual phobia

Spiritual phobia

Hey everyone, I am most embarassed by this phobia. I have a phobia of Spiritual things, being psychic, seeing spirits, even believing in god, i know it sounds weird. I was going through a hard time, about 8 months ago, where I was doing some painting from within they call it, this was to explore my inner self. Anyway, I started being afraid of being overtaken by something invisible. I also had a feeling of free falling and dizziness like my legs were going to give in. I was in a psychic chat room, (which i totally regret now) and was told by a person, that it sounded like I was going through a kundalini awakening. I did not know what this was and looked it up. I also had joined a support group (big mistake for me) It is a hindu practise and people in some types of yoga practise this. Anyway, I read some very scarey stuff about it and I totally freaked out, and people were telling me, that it was happening to me, I just believed them blindly and just freaked out. (This was people on the internet, support group). I have since spoken to my mental health worker who has some knowledge on the topic and he has reassured me that Im not going through it and will not be an enlightened being. lol. I also have a phobia of being enlightened and having any inner knowing. This whole experience triggered a big fear in me. So now, I have a real big phobia of anything spiritual, as for me to be spiritual in any way, means I may have to go through this kundalini awakening.

Sorry to sound like a real nut case. Just wanted to share this unusual phobia in this forum.

thankyou
    sylvia

Re: Spiritual phobia

Hi Sylvia, you dont sound like a nutcase to me. I dont know much about this topic but It appears to me that these feelings you got whilst doing the paintings worried you enough to go checking it out. In doing so you stumbled upon this psychic chat room and someone put the fear of god in you. This is the one problem with the internet. It leaves us open to vulnerability. I dont mean to offend anyone by saying this but from my experience people with spiritual belief feel it is their duty to spread the word and encourage others to feel this too. This is what this person did with you. Obviously your therapist put you straight on this matter.
    I would forget all about this Kudalini awakening if I were you and as seen as the whole matter scares you so much I would be inclined to forget about the whole thing. Is there any other hobby or interests you have that you could fulfill. Something nice and calming and that is not likely to upset you so much?

Sylvia,

I think I partially identify with the feeling you describe. That fear of being overtaken by something invisible is something I have experienced, and quite terrifying it was too. It was when I hypnotised myself 4 years ago.

I have read a fair bit about altered states of consciousness since my experience - partly because I am interested in this subject, but also because my social phobia has a kind of "occult" aspect to it and I was looking for a way of understanding it.

I agree with Pinkpiglet that there is a lot of cr*p talked on Internet forums. If you want to understand this stuff you are better off getting a decent book about it. On the other hand, it may be that you are better off not looking any further into it. I don't know.

In my case I felt ignoring what I'd experienced wasn't an option. I haven't been in a trance state since my experiments, but I have taken up meditating, which some say is a controlled way of accessing the higher levels of reality.

I have lots of thoughts on this stuff. I do think spiritualism can be dangerous, and if investigated it has to be taken seriously rather than dabbled in, which is what I did, and boy did I suffer for it. Feel free to PM me if you want a further brain-dump on the subject

F
    And fill it with devils and dust.
    - Bruce Springsteen

Red face Re: Spiritual phobia

I hear you Sylvia and share the same phobia.
    I have had numerous spiritual experiences but yet it scares the hell out of me and the biggest fear I had was being thought of as a nut job. This however was soon remedied after a short stay in a mental health facility where apart from my other diagnosis, they also stated I had "Spiritual and Religious problems" which of course they could not help me with.
    So much for trying to hide somewhere where I thought I would not experience these things .I soon found out that I could not hide from it and I was not a nut job after all even though I was hoping for a diagnosis of being mentally unwell as opposed to having spiritual and religious problems...but it is what it is.
    8 years down the track and I still have yet to decide whether or not I want to face this head on or run a mile.
    This is only a decision that we can make for ourselves.
    We have to live with what we are comfortable with and the decisions we make along our journey.
    Wishing you all the best xxx

I am also facing the same phobia I am terrified of spiritual awakening on things I have read. Had a scary experience with a Mayan shaman and now i can't cope I am terrified did everything spiritual of all the new age thinbs. Please advuse.

Thread Information