Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety When Shopping

Anxiety When Shopping

Does anyones anxiety come over them everytime they go shopping? i cnt seem to relax and look round shops because i feel so anxious then get dizzy and i end up rushing to what i need to buy then hurry out. this seems to be one of the places it mostly occurs. anyone relate and any ways to stop this? ive no idea whats causing it only mostly in these occasions?

Re: Anxiety When Shopping

Hello There,

Yes your not alone here. I have terrible panic sensations when Im Shopping as soon as I get to the mall I feel edgy and want to come home, especially this time of year when the shops are so busy.

Its all part of anxiety Im afraid

Take Care
    Jo

omg yes !!!! thank goodness for internet shopping i say
    take care
    sandra xx

This appears to be a very common anxiety which I share with you. It's not so bad when I don't have to buy anything but at this time of the year when presents have to be bought it's a nightmare but I'm sure this is so for most people whether they normally suffer from anxiety or not.
    Best of luck
    John

I hate it!!!!!!!!

I don't hate shopping - this is the worst thing, shopping was always something I loved and shopping is great therapy normally for most people. It's the symptoms I cannot stand!!!!!!

I can be okay once I'm in and getting distracted by things (with the help of diazepam) but I hate queueing although manage to put on a good act for the checkout person.

I don't really have fully blown panics or anything but this awful awful sinking in the stomach and it makes me feel like crying. I just get to the stage (like today) where I feel I can't take any more of this awful feeling. My whole mood dips to the floor when I get this feeling. Can anyone relate to it? You just feel you cannot smile and I feel like I might lose control and actually cry.

I have had a bad bad day today and I'm feeling soooo sorry for myself because I go into shops and big stores every single day as I should for exposure but every time I do have to go shopping I still get the same old symptom - the fear reaction which is in the gut and it sinks and it's just a feeling of dread I guess. I don't get the racing heart and stuff any more my med has helped with that but I still get this feeling that I could cry and I don't know what to do any more. I have tried so hard.

I've had every med on the market, cbt, tried mindfulness etc etc --- I really have done everything to help myself but I just don't seem to get much better.

Sometimes I can go shopping and feel absolutely fine (always get initial fear response but handle it) - I have been doing not so bad recently but today I just felt like I wasn't going to put myself through it.

It makes me so so down because you see people going about their business out shopping and whatever and it's just normal life to them - they just don't know how lucky they are.

Shopping online is ok but who wants to be a recluse - I certainly don't - also I personally feel that if I did a lot of shopping online I would hate myself for giving in to the demon.

Take care all.
    Defo having bad day.

PS If people can't relate to my symptoms I think I'm going to phone the shrink tomorrow and tell him to send the men in white coats for me cos I've had enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yvonne

Hi Cheeky

I get this too, I know it's very very common even amongst people who don't otherwise get anxious. I know lots of pepole who won't go to the local Asda here simply because it is too big and too busy. I go though, panic attacks, hot sweats, funny vision etc etc, I am learning to just ignore the symptoms and keep shopping.

It has taken a long long time to get to this stage though. When I was really bad last year I would go in and do half the shopping pay for it, go and sit in the car to get myself pulled together, then go back in and get the rest.

All I can suggest is that you talk to yourself in your head when you feel the anxiety rising and tell yourself to slow down. Try to relax your shoulders and body, don't speed up, as hard as it is, it will just feed the adrenalin. Try to force yourself to look at things even if you don't want to. Whatever you do, and I know how hard this is, don't rush out of the shop in full panic. It is not the situation that is making you panic, it is your thoughts and you have linked these feelings with being in the shops. You will be anticipating panic before you even get to the shops.

Try and stay in the shop as long as you possibly can as the panic will subside naturally. Nothing bad will happen to you and once you realise that these feelings will pass and that it is not being in the shops that is causing the feelings it is your belief that it is, then things will get better. I know this is not easy, but you need to test it out and ride the wave of panic.

Hope this helps a bit.

yes I get this a lot. I hate it as I love shopping & have a look round but I end up rushing & making myself feel worse.xxx

I totally understand I always get panic attacks when it is busy in the shops, thank god for the internet I have bought most of my xmas presents online!!

xx

hello
    i too get horrible feelings when im in the supermarket especially and it really is not a nice feeling so i can sympathise.
    yvonne i sound exactly like you!
    andrea sounds great advice hun.
    sorry i have no advice just wanted to say you are not alone.
    xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information