Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I managed a 30 mile drive to Lytham today!!

I managed a 30 mile drive to Lytham today!!

Hi everyone. I had a good day today and for the first time in the 2.5 years since my breakdown, I drove the car 30 miles to Lytham and back with my 14 year old daughter for company!! I was daring myself all morning to do it. I have not driven "far" because of the DP and also I didnt want to get half way there, or even all the way there, and not feel up to driving back or not want to do anything when I got there. Anyway I have wanted to do this for ages and today seemed to be the "right day" to try it. And although I still didnt feel 100%, I did well and walked all round Lytham then came back to Morrisons on Preston Dock and did some shopping, then had a Mc Donalds at Preston Dock too! Plus there was no-one to drive me home if I didnt want to. So I felt it was a risk. But I was doing well and it never even crossed my mind when I got to Lytham that I didnt want to drive the 30 miles back to Southport. So all my worrying about that happening had been pointless!! I feel quite proud of myself now because during the first 6 or 9 months after the breakdown, I wouldnt even get in a car, let alone drive one. Also I wouldnt have dared go so far with one or both my kids in case I felt rough but I coped really well and feel that that has been another good breakthrough.

Shirley

Re: I managed a 30 mile drive to Lytham today!!

well done sounds like you had a really nice day out with your daughter, and you should feel proud of yourself..Heres wishing you loads more great days out xxx
    Last edited by orangecrush; 06-12-08 at 22:44. Reason: wrong spelling

Hi Basilcat,

That's fantastic news!!! Well done!!!

I am so pleased to hear of your success.

Best wishes xx

Hi OrangeCrush, Patty and Tetley, Thanks for your kind words about my trip yesterday. When I got home I felt like a miracle had happened!! I still wasnt 100% but I was good enough for my daughter not to be able tell any difference in me and I felt ok to walk around the town too, also to go in Morrisons in Preston as I said before. It was such a revelation as I had worried about doing that (or a similar trip without hubby to take over the driving) for ages. Yesterday I thought that if I didnt try it, I would never known how I would deal with it or cope with it. So I went way past my comfort zone. Hubby couldnt drive out to get me if I didnt want to drive back as he was with our son at Old Trafford! I was way past my taxi boundary too and there was no-one else to help if need be so I was really out there on my own yesterday with my daughter. I prayed that we would be ok and we were.

Shirley

well done! x x x x x

Thanks mishel. I had been building up to doing the trip for a while, or a similar one anyway. It was a beautiful day to do it too. At least I have proved that if I do drive out of my comofort zone, I can handle it and drive back as well. Really, when I set off from home, I had no idea how I would cope! I was so happy that it worked for me.

Shirley

WELL DONE - SO PLEASED FOR YOU

Thanks Emmas. I know when we got to Lytham, I stepped gingerly out of the car and looked round me and although I wasnt 100% I knew I was going to be ok. I really had no idea how I would feel when I got there and I didnt want to feel rough and upset my daughter but that never happened. We just went round the shops and it was a real treat to be there again. I can see that next year, I will probably be able to drive to my parents in Yorkshire again. Thats 60 miles there and 60 miles back. Going to Lytham was a 60 mile round trip. It was a great step forward though wasnt it and it proved I can do it and enjoy it when I get there too.

Shirley

yes shirley - you have proved you can do it, and that having any sort of mental health problem, although nasty at the time can be overcome, and you can lead a 'normal' life again - all best wishes to you for a happy and healthy future

Well done.... 30 miles is a looonggg drive especially if its your first looonnng trip...i dont think we've spoke before but well done im proud of you..it just goes to show that the build up of anxiety and worry is always the worse!! xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information