Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emetophobia is driving me to despair

Emetophobia is driving me to despair

Hi,
    As some of you know I have a whole range of problems - it's quicker to say what I haven't got! Right now though I am in a terrible state with my emet - there's so much in the news about the norovirus and my fear levels have gone through the roof. There was a thing in the local paper this weekend about there being an outbreak of it at my local hospital, and just seeing it in print brought on a terrible panic attack. I think about being sick all the time, and somehow my fear seems to get worse after dark, so the evenings are like torture - I feel like I'm waiting for it to begin.
    I feel stupid being like this - I'm a reasonably intelligent, well-educated woman of thirty and I just cannot rationalise this awful fear. It sends me into a state of primal terror. I have all sorts of other problems and issues as well that ought to put this one into perspective, but they don't - it is still my biggest fear.
    I know it's a normal function and all that, and it's designed to save us from poisons and so on, but I just remember the last time I was physically sick - eight years ago now - and how terrible I felt, like I was going to die.
    Can someone offer some advice as to how to get through this terrible time?

Re: Emetophobia is driving me to despair

Just wanted to clarify when I said I was well-educated above, of course I know that has nothing to do with it, and having a phobia has no bearing on how intelligent you are. I just feel daft being so scared of something that primary school kids take in their strides!

Hi.
    Okay, i am emetophobic, i am 33 and definitely NOT well educated!

This fear consumes you, IF YOU LET IT! Three weeks ago a child at my sons school puked in the classroom, right next to my son. I spent the next 2 weeks in a daze, scared crapless.

But then, there is a lot of people who get this norovirus, but there is an awful lot more who DO NOT! Last year they mentioned so many million people were getting sick, but it worked out to be something like 9% of the population, they like to scare munger, if they don't, then there's no news. Hospitals have outbreaks ALL year and unless you are sitting with someone when they are doing 'it' then you're safe. If you know of someone who is ill, then just don't go snogging them or sharing cuttlery.

I am rubbish at dealing with this illness, but, i really can't worry about whether it might happen or not. If my son gets sick, then i will start panicking.

Wash hands..but not obsessively!

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Thank you ever so much Belle, I feel better for knowing I'm not alone - although of course I wouldn't wish this on anyone!
    I have another problem actually - I'm meant to be having a pelvic scan at the hospital this week, and of course now I've heard they have a sickness bug there I'm too scared to go. I rang my doctor to try to explain my fear and he was horrible to me, saying I was being 'irresponsible' to defer the scan (even though before he told me it was unlikely to be anything serious) and that I shouldn't think I was too good to go to the General hospital, and he gave me a lecture about how good their scan department is, etc - just not listening at all to me. I couldn't stop crying when I hung up.
    I'm supposed to ring the hospital later in the week to rearrange the scan, but I'm just too scared - HELP!!! xxx

Hi,

I had this recently (and at the beginning of the year) too. I had to go to the hospital for an MRI and i was scared because i'd heard that the Norovirus was there, but....as i said in my previous message, unless you are in DIRect contact with the vomit either by being near someone when they are doing IT (either end) or sharing knives and forks, you'll be fine. I promise. If it makes you feel better, just make sure you keep using the hand gel and don't use the toilets. The viruses are containted in the wards and you won't be going to one of them.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

hi im sorry that you are feeling rubbish at the moment but i thought id write and tell you you are not the only person with this fear i have it to and i worry about the same thing i hate hospitals and doctors becuase of the germs i even stoped going to my local gym as my fear was so bad
    i think your doctor could of been more understanding about how you felt and maybe tried to put you at ease rather then telling you of . maybe its a good idea to go and see another doctor and explain that you would feel more comftable talking to someone else about your problems . i hope that you will feel better soon and try and not to worry to much about news papers they do like to make things sound worse then they are thay after all have to sell newspapers

Yeah, thanks... I know you're right... it's just so hard. I feel very depressed and anxious about Christmas coming up as well, it seems to get worse every year, it's like I have a Christmas phobia. I feel so alone with it. I tried to talk to my mum about it this afternoon, and at first she was fairly sympathetic, but before long she lost her temper and said she was sick of me being so negative, etc. (The same conversation we've had umpteen times). I know I am negative, but how do you stop being negative when your whole life is negative? I feel like saying that I didn't ask to be here, besieged with all these problems (some of which, frankly, I do blame my parents for) and how the hell am I supposed to be all merry and bright when all I really want to do is go to sleep and not wake up? Anyway, sorry, I'll stop ranting now! xxx

no its ok its good to have a rant about things that upset us . i also get negative around this time as well i think its all the stress of money and being around family

hey....i think belle has said everything i would have said...

but just wanted to say that im emetophobic too...and i understand entirely where you are coming from!! Ive even done a whole module on phobias in my degree course at uni....and STILL cant seem to get over it!

Best wishes
    lucyx

Hi

I too worry terribly about norovirus and as I work in a hospital I get really panicky when this time of year comes round. The main thing is that as Belle said it is caught by direct contact with the person, or a surface that has been in contact with vomit (sorry!!!) or if you are near someone when they are being sick.

The best way to avoid it is to wash your hands, soap and water is the most effective. I also use alcohol gel after washing my hands to make extra sure. Try not to be too obsessive about the hand washing though, I tend to be when I'm at work but then it's positively encouraged there.

Try not to think that you are risking yourself by going into the hospital, I think you are very unlikely to catch anything in there whilst having a scan.

I know how hard it is as I think about norovirus on a daily basis and everytime I feel a bit sickly(usually nerves) I think I've got it. It's a very common phobia and it consumes me at times, so I really feel for you.

Take care and PM me if you wanna talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information