Thread: Went to the dentist

Talking Went to the dentist

Hiya everyone
    Well for about the last two years I have had real trouble with my teeth. I refused to go to the dentist so the first thing that happened was my gums started to bl;eed as I hand't had a professional clean in about 10 years. So after about 4 months of being in pain I decided to go to the dentist, they did the professional clean and my gums stopped bleeding. However, they also told me I would need my wisdom teeth taken out and a filling on one of me teeth. They said that if I didn't do it the tooth would eventually crumble. But it wernt giving me any pain or anything so I thought stuff it I aint going. Then had tooth ache off n on for thelast year, well about two months ago it all really came to a head. I got an infection in my wisdom tooth. It took me till I litrually could not take the pain any more till I was willing to go back, of course by this time my other tooth that needed the filling had crumbled, but I wouldn't let them remove it, nope no way, refused point blank, so they cleared the infection and referd me to the hospital to have all my dental work under general. So the pain had gone and I was fine, only saturday the tooth that had crumbled started to give me gip, by sunday night not even co-codamol was taking the pain away, so off I went to the dentist, only this time, they said they wanted to remove the tooth and I said ok. No word of a lie, I was shaking like hell, the spit bowl that was attched to the chair was shaking as I was shaking that much, but I managed it, I got the injections and they tried to pull the tooth, only it wouldn't come. So now I've still gotta wait for the hospitl, but I did it. I never thought I'd o to a dentist and let them do that again, bu I did

Re: Went to the dentist

Well done - I bet you were really proud of yourself and have every right to be.

well done x

well done xx i have also visited the dentist recently having not been for 6 years after a particularly traumatic extraction which led to me being admitted to the dental hospital for 3 days !!!!....... anyhow, i joined a new private practice that was recommended by a friend and had my initial appt a couple of weeks ago, which was a real test of my nerves lol.....since then i have been to the hygienist (i hate the scale and polish lol) and i am ready for my first filling on 30th dec. The level of care i have received has been amazing - i was given half an hour with the dentist on my first appt to discuss my fears and anxiety and we agreed how we would proceed and how i could get him to stop treatment etc if i was getting anxious. By simply putting my hand up he would stop and allow me to swallow and take a breath etc and signal that i was ok for him to continue. Knowing that he understands my anxiety is very important to me and i know that i am control of the treatment and consultation and it will move at my pace has been a huge breakthrough for me. I guess for me it was just a case of getting thru that first appt and gettting used to someone working in my mouth - as i have huge issues with swallowing and my throat constricting etc.

Thread Information