Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating & panic

Re: Eating & panic

I tend to get heart palpitations after some meals which makes me very panicy!

I have just learned to relax, accept the stomach churning and the banging heart and keep eating, as relaxed as I can be. Eating is very important for anxiety sufferers (as it is for everyone!) so try and no let your symptoms bluff you into not eating. Try and relax, accept the shakes, the nerves and even if you can enjoy just one bite you've begun the road to recovery!

AH! I get the SAME THING when I am going through really bad panics. It frustrates me so much. I always get more anxious because I'm thin to begin with and I don't want to lose too much weight and look sick. It's so weird and it makes absolutely no sense. It may be because we feel somewhat pressured to eat at that particular time and that induces some anxiety. Don't feel bad to save it for later, you may find that you actually get hungry and eat on your own time.

Laur

Thank you to everyone that replied. Sorry I am late in replying, seems I've got so many symptoms lately, I don't know where to turn.

I am ok with the eating a meal sometimes, then outta the blue it will come back again.........like now!!!!

I hate this so much & everything that comes with it. I'm going to stick to snacks, cooking & then not being able to eat it is just stupid!! I feel so stupid.

Thanks again for your replies.

Love
    Els

Soup and other soft foods are always great when the anxiety peaks! xxx That way you are eating but you dont feel bad about the anxiety as your not fully giving into it!

hiya

i get like that but oddly only when i eat with my parents (i dont live with them) and occasionally when oh is there. I think it comea from when i was younger i stopped eating and i fell my parents watch what i eat and worry if i dont eat it all and sometimes i am just not hungry. i find it easier to eat small and often and with a 1 yr old its easier but my parent s just dont get that!

I'm pleased I found this thread - I thought I was going nuts!!

For me it started only a few weeks ago, and to begin with it was hot food - anything cooked basically. I would manage a sandwich or cold pasta but even the thought or mention of cooked food makes me feel instantly sick and panicky.

It's progressed in the last week to everything - cold and hot and I am having to force myself to eat. I can feel absolutely starved and as soon as I go to eat I just can't. I'm hoping that the 'everything' side of it is just a holiday thing and will improve when I'm back at work next week. Just in case I'm taking sandwiches cut into bite sizes so that I can have my lunch spread out across the day if needs be.

I also suffer from this - it seems to be if I have had a really bad panicky day and then I can just about manage soup - I tend to snack and eat things I can eat quickly and get it over with kind of thing - I even find the preparation of a meal sometimes horrendous
    I also get it worse when at my parents or family or when round a table and a restaurant is a definite no no

Mark

I'm so sorry that ev1 who has answered this thread is having similar problems when eating. Like life isn't bad enuff that we have to get anxious, breathless etc when we try & eat.

I am getting it now even with snacks. It's just taken me half an hour to have a bowl of soup.

Only relief from the anxiety seems to be when I'm sleeping, even then I have nightmares!! No getting away from it, it's so sad, it's so annoying, it's making me feel such despair. I have had this anxiety so many years, I never think about getting better anymore, just try & get through day/night with as less anxiety as possible.

So sad Life with NO life is pointless.

Take care all
    Love
    Els

I get this too, after I'm done eating! I think mine has to do with the heart rate, and secondary feelings with the sort of heated, flushy sleepy feeling. I'm afraid to overeat now because of it. But I still eat, I just try not to eat too much. I've actually timed it, I get the worst of it about twenty minutes after I stop eating. After that mark, I'm fine.

Being distracted helps the most, usually standing up and walking helps me a lot cause I don't notice the feeling and I digest better. I watch movies and stuff whilst I'm eating and that way by the time it gets done I've had already passed the most uncomfortable part.

I get this as well and its definately linked to anxiety.... I can completely not fancy food, if I am at high level anxiety and sometime will go all day without eating anything and not feeling hungry.

Other times I am hungry and then I sit down to eat and dont fancy it... especially if I am eating around people.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information