Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emetophobia and Norovirus

Emetophobia and Norovirus

The dreaded norovirus season has really kicked in big time now and I am feeling so desperate about it. I have VERY severe emetophobia (and the same with diarrhoea) to the extent I will become hysterical and a danger to myself if I'm feeling sick etc.

I'm not sure I can go through another winter of this.....not helped by the fact I work in a hospital part time. This phobia leads me to total despair and to the point of wanting to end my life.

Rationally I know all about it, know about hygiene etc because of where I work but it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. I want to hide away in my house or stay in my car. It ruins life, I dream about it at night and everey day am tormented by the fear.

I know there are other emetophobes here. Guys, I'm really really struggling right now and am scared .

Ellie
    x

Re: Emetophobia and Norovirus

Hi.
    I'm emetophobic and have had it for years. Last year there was so much hype about this dreaded winter vomiting bug and in reality, out of our 50 something MILLION population, only a million got sick. Thats an awful lot of people who didn't get ill.

I spent a couple of weeks ago worrying terribly because a kid at my sons school puked right next to him, IN THE CLASSROOM and they left it there until break time.

I can't spend the next 3 months crapping myself in case i get it. If my son gets it, then i'll worry, but as long as i keep my hands clean there is little else i can do.

The chances of you getting (as you know) are very slim and you're not always sick with it. I've had it 3 times in 2 years, but was not actually sick, i spent 14 hours heaving and having the runs (which was not pleasant) and then the next 24 hours like i'd been hit by a truck - i can honestly say the last 24 hours were the worst.

YOU CAN go through this winter and you WILL survive it.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I don't know what to say except me too! Belle helped me as well on a similar thread I started. My norovirus dread is terrible - I'm as scared as if it were cholera or the plague or something. I am so scared I feel like I just can't get through this winter or Christmas. I long for it to be the spring.
    I try to comfort myself by looking at it like this:
    1. These viruses are around all the time, they just get a lot of publicity at this time of year.
    2. Bad things seem to happen when you don't expect them (at least to me!) the things you dread often don't actually happen.
    3. Even if you do get it you might just get a mild dose where you're not actually sick.... I get mildish stomach upsets where I feel sick and have a bit of diarrhoea once or twice a year.
    4. And this isn't easy for me to say because I am TERRIFIED, but even if we do get it we will survive it. And be able to relax after that because you can't get it twice in one year!
    5. If you're careful washing your hands etc. you can greatly reduce your risk of getting it.
    I know how you feel because I am so scared too. Please feel free to PM if you feel that talking to a fellow sufferer will help. xxx

Just wanted to add I started a thread myself on this topic called 'Emetophobia is driving me to despair' - there was some good advice given to me on there which might help you. xxx

Hi Ellie,

Poor you.

I too suffer from emetophobia and am worrying a lot at the moment about the norovirus bug.

Each night when I go to bed I think about it. If my son stirs at all in the night I am convinced that it is because he is ill. he now has a sick bowl in his room every night just in case poor kid.

I seem to be more rational during the day about it but evenings bring a lot of stress.

I keep trying to tell myself that if my son gets it and we get it too then we will deal with it but it makes life so much harder when the worry takes over. I am quite fed up with it. it makes me really cross when people take their kids back to school before the 48hours have passed too.

I wish there was a way to disconnect from this. Do you have kids? I used to be able to hide from everything when it was just me, it's definately harder now. But I wouldn't be without my son of course! I just wish this extra worry wasn't tainting the good times.

I have had some exposure therapy which helped for a while and maybe I am better than before but I'm still not where I want to be (ie phobia free)- am thinking of trying hypnotherapy...

Anyway it's good to know that I'm not alone and sometimes redaing other peoples stories does help to rationalise the fears a bit...maybe.

try not to think about it unless you have to. thinking of you xx

It's that time of the year again, when it seems like everyone around me gets sick from the norovirus.

I'm emetophobic and I have been ever since I had a tonsil operation when I was eight. I was so sick afterwards, it's pretty much scarred me for life.

I hate it when this bug goes around, I never want to go to school when there's an outbreak because I know it's spreading there and so many people are catching it. I don't like touching door handles anymore just incase an infected person has touched it too. Then I have the urge to keep washing my hands over and over again, no wonder my mum seems concerned about me ><

I'm absolutely terrified of the virus, being sick is just a living nightmare for me. I've managed to avoid being sick for nearly eight years, and my immune system is pretty good, but I'm still paranoid that the bug will get me eventually.

I thought that because the norovirus is spreading rapidly at my school, they would have closed it or at least made the place more hygienic. But they don't care at all, they haven't done anything to help, and they haven't even warned anyone about the spread of it. None of them seem to know that they should stay at home at least 48 hours after the symptoms have resolved, either.

I heard a vaccine is being developed, I hope they hurry up with it, it'll put my mind at ease!

Cbodard

I can 100% understand your fear, but don't you think putting a bowl in your sons bedroom is a little too much? If your son mentioned he felt poorly when going to bed then that'd be okay, but EVERY NIGHT? Is that not pushing your fear onto your child?? I try my hardest not to do that.

x
    Last edited by belle; 16-12-08 at 17:22.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hi all,

I feel exactly the same as the rest of you. I really wish they would stop talking about the norovirus on the news, I can kind of cope until I see this. I'm currently having hynotherapy for my phobia and did feel like I was getting a bit better but hearing so much about this bug has knocked me back a bit and has really started me panicking!!

I've got 2 little ones and absolutely dread them coming down with this as I really don't know how i'd cope. I pray to god they don't see me panic as I would hate for them to get this phobia after seeing my reactions.

God I hate this time of year.

Hang in there everyone, we'll all get through this together.

Melissa xx

Just wanted to add I think those of you who are mums to young children and have this phobia do really well.... we'll get there together. xxx

Thank you SO much to all who have replied :-)
    I cant tell you how much i appreciate them all. To have others who understand the terror is so important and helpful.

I went in to work this morning to be greeted with the news that another 3 wards had been closed over night. MY anxiety is off the scale but I'm trying to use all the strategies i know to bring the anxiety levels down.

I'm frustrated that despite repeatedly telling my CPN and GP about the severity of my phobia they can't offer any help.

I too take my hat off to all you Mums out there - you're amazing. The emetophobia prevents me from doing so many things including having a relationship and children.

Evenings and nights are worse for me too, I dream about it most nights and dread going to sleep in case i wake up ****.

Thank you everyone........here's hoping I can get through another night and day...and night and day..........one step at a time.

Ellie
    xxxx

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information