Thread: Increased dose

Cool Increased dose

Hiya All

Can anyone help please I have been on Citalopram 20mgs for about 8 weeks now but over the past two weeks have noticed a return of my negative symptoms ie mainly the waking in the early hours a bit anxious etc.

Spoke to Doc today because I want to return to work because I want so much to get better, he advised me to increase the dosage to 40 mgs and has given me these on my new prescription.

I have taken one now, I am a bit concerned over doubling the dose straight away but doc said that 20mgs is not a massive dose for depression and anxiety. He has made me take the next three weeks off work to make sure I am ok on the increased dose and has asked to see me again before I return to work.

Basically I want to know two things,

1. Has anyone ever taken this doseage and what did it make you feel like and
    2. Did you get better on these tablets after increasing the dose.

Many many thanks

Heather

Re: Increased dose

Hi Heather

Believe it or not 40mg is still not a big dose. I went up to 40mg and It did the trick. I dont think you will get any more side effects which are usually when you first take the drug.
    If you are apprehensive about doubling the dose why dont you take 30mg for one week and then step up to 40mg. I am sure you will be fine.

After one year I felt fine and back to my old self and have gradually reduced to 10mg. I can stop it any time now but whats the hurry?

Best of luck

Andy

I went up to 30mg first, then 40mg. I have to say that in doing so I probably had two lots of side effects, one lot with each increase, they lasted about a week. They did go eventually, nausea being the worst side effect.

I have been on Citalopram for nearly 12 weeks now, starting on 10mg and working up to 40mg but I know I have turned a corner now and the 40mg dose is definitely helping me and i do feel better.

I was exactly the same as you, 20mg worked initially, then the negativity crept back in. It's a long road but I think it worth sticking with it.

Hi I cant help you with this medication, but i can say i had the same increase from 20 to 40 woth prozac and all was fine xx

Thanks so much for your replies I suppose I will know more tomorrow when I wake up and if I feel sick or anything, feeling nauseous and being off my food won't be a bad thing for me this close to Xmas as I have got about five stone to lose
    (unfortunately me and the kid have started on the sweets already)

Lots of Love and thanks again

Heather

I personally found that when I increased to 30mg from 20mg, I didn't need to go up to 40mg after all Still had problems with a few side-effects, but only for a few days - even the "infinitesimally small" increase (as my doctor put it) really helped me to get stabilised again

Thanks for that mandi if I feel too sick or if I have trouble sleeping I will drop down to 30 to see if thats the dose for me, thanks very much for all the advice from everyone I really appreciate it

Heather

I've just gone from 10mgs to 20mgs,been on 20mgs for over a week now feel bad,getting panic attacks like i had before i took any pills,is this normal?

Hiya

When I was at the GP and he increased my dose he said that I might experience some side effects like when I first started, I have taken my dose now in early evenings
    if you are worried and they become too much go back and speak to the doc.

Good Luck and hope things start improving soon

Heather

Thread Information