Thread: Swallowing - Dentist tomorrow! Diazepam advice

Red face Swallowing - Dentist tomorrow! Diazepam advice

Hi,

I have the dentist tomorrow to continue with root canal treatment. Now I have never been one to be scared of the dentist as you always numb for treatment so I have always felt quite safe.

However a couple of years I developed an issue with swallowing whereby I struggle to drink, eat etc. I can not fly as terrified I might not be able to swallow thousands of feet above the ground and have a full on panic attack and feel totally helpless.

For my last few dental visits, I have been really concious of struggling with my swallowing. As you lie so far back, I feel I can't swallow when the dentist isn't anywhere near my mouth so you can imagine when she is actually carrying out the work! I flipped out last time and she couldn't do it. I cried for hours after as all I could think was how will I ever cope when I go? When I lie back, I can feel the water but can't swallow and end up panicking and having to sit up.

I went to the doctor yesterday and she prescribed me some diazepam (she told me to take 12.5ml an hour before my appointment). I took 12.5ml just over an hour ago to see what I would feel like and I'm just a bit woozy, not calm and still terrified about tomorrow.

Has anyone else been prescribed this too for a dental appointment or can offer me any advice? I would really appreciate.

Thank you.

Joanne x

Re: Swallowing - Dentist tomorrow! Diazepam advice

Hey
    have prblems wth swallowing too , food seems to stick n my throat and when i swallow watr or sumthink ifeels like it takes while to go down,but it is from acid reflux apparently that causs y foodpipe to be inflammed..giving thee feelings,fear can pla a big roll and make things worse so try and stay calm ur in safe hands.it doesnt matter howmany times u ae to tellthem to stop to pit salova outthey will undrstand .tell me abt more indetail of what ur eperiencing plz? best wshes c xxx

Hi Joanne,

I have been prescribed diazapam for my anxiety and panic attacks, i take 5mg tablets, i find that it does take a while to get through your system and not sure if you starting them today will help, what i would suggest with being an anxiety sufferer too is that tomorrow when you go, think nice thoughts while you are lying down and understand that this symptom you are getting is completely anxiety and nothing else, it wont harm you and tell your brain that your not going to allow it to either, i know this is easier said than done, however you know it works for me, good luck

Hi,

Mine is anxiety so I can swallow fine, its just my brain making me think I can't. Lost a stone in weeks as barely ate and dizzy from dehydration. The eating and drinking is a lot better than it was a couple of the years, its just the dentist.........

I tried hypnotherapy for the swallowing but didn't really work for me. Made me feel extremely relaxed though.

How long have you felt like this?

Jo xx

Thanks Stace! I tend to lie and think awful thoughts! Will think of what I might be getting for xmas......

How does the diazepam make you feel? I feel calm but my mind is still whirring.

Thread Information