Thread: Norovirus facts...

Thumbs up Norovirus facts...

Hope this helps

As long as you wash your hands before touching your face/mouth/eyes/nose, you will NOT get it.The only way to get it is to ingest it.You can live with a family of 10 people who got it and you will not get it as long as you keep clean.

The Norwalk virus is known as the nasty 24 hour bug that causes and sudden watery diarrhea and/or vomiting.Usually non life threating but can cause complications in the very young,elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

PREVENTION-Wash your hands before preparing food/eating food and most importantly, TOUCHING YOUR MOUTH/NOSE/EYES.

The ONLY way to become infected with this virus is if you ingest the contaminated fecal/vomit particles through your eyes,nose and mouth.

It is impossible to "breathe" in the virus BUT possible to become infected by breathing in aerosol "spray" droplets from someone vomiting right next to you.(the droplets settle within minuted but can still infect someone until cleaned with bleach)

Even if your whole family breaks out with this virus, you can prevent it by washing your hands for at least 15-20 seconds with warm water and soap. Remember that you are not killing the virus, you are washing it down the drain even if you use an antibacterial soap (which only kills bacteria, not viruses) hand sanitizers are also not successful in killing the virus.

If a member of your family comes down with the virus, let them know to wash their hands AFTER a bowel movement and vomiting.

To clean infected areas, clean with BLEACH.Clean bathrooms (all infected areas) with a bleach solution as soon as possible and be sure to prevent cross contamination and wash your hands afterwards.Especially children! wipe down all commonly touched objects like door knobs, faucet handles, light switches, toilet flushers etc.

People are STILL contagious even after 24 hours after their symptoms settle down so it is always important to wash your hands after the rest room (which you should do anyways!)

The key to staying Norovirus virus free is to keep sanitary. Wash your hands after using the bathroom...you could prevent other peoples misery as well as yours!!

Myths

It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to get infected in any of the following ways:

1. Being “near” someone who has it, including co-workers or friends
    2. Being on a plane with people who have it
    3. Breathing the same air as someone who has it
    4. Being in the same building as someone who has it
    5. Walking past a pool of vomit on the floor, road or sidewalk
    6. Through having sexual relations with an infected person
    7. Through a cut in your skin
    8. Through your rectum or genitalia (as in, on a toilet)
    9. Kissing someone who is not yet showing symptoms (note: it may be possible to catch it from someone who has recently vomited by kissing them, as viral particles may be in their mouth from vomitus. But the virus is NOT transmitted through saliva)
    10. Number 6, above, applies similarly to sharing cups or utensils with someone as well.

TIPSo not share any cups/plates/utensils with an infected person and be sure to wash in a bleach solution to prevent cross contamination with the rest of your family.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Re: Norovirus facts...

you can not get norovirus through your nose or eyes. You have to swallow it and it has to end up in your small intestine where it flatens the villae. Reverse absorption from the blood stream is not possible

also, if you have AB or B type blood there is a good chance you are immune as you don't produce the proper proteins for the binding site. If you don't know your blood type, take a blood type personality test... they can be pretty accurate. It certainly helped me to know that I'm not O and most likely not A.

Thread Information