Thread: Raised white blood cells HELP!

Raised white blood cells HELP!

Hi there, havent been able to get on for a while due to my tempremental laptop so I'v been trying to deal with this new worry on my own.
    I recently crawled out of my black hole of anxiety and depression and felt 100% better, I realised my GP was useless so i changed to a better one. I had been feeling generally run down and tired all the time but put it down to my anxiety and depression. My new doctor wasnt entirely convinced so he sent me for a full set of blood tests. These showed that my white blood count was raised. The normal should be between 2 and 15. Mine was 18 so my GP re-did my bloods only to find that they had raised further to 20. I have tried not to worry although at the back of my mind I am. These results are backing my cancer fears again and I am so worried. I have resisted googling for three weeks but today i couldnt help myself and i have just read that a raised white blood count usually indicates leukemia or cancer. I have to wait until mid-january before my GP will re-do my bloods as he wants to give any infection that may be present time to heal. If my bloods are still raised or even higher I will have to go to hospital for tests.
    I would love some reassuring advice but what can anyone say to satisfy my fears? Have any of you had this happen to them? and what were the results.

Please help me, I am soooooo worried x

P.s I am soooo relieved that my laptop is back in top form otherwise i wouldnt have been able to post my secret santa on crimbo day x

Re: Raised white blood cells HELP!

Hi

Elevated white blood cells is more likely to be an indication of infection, either bacterial or viral, especially if you have been feeling run down recently. Apparently, even a common cold can raise white blood cell production. In very rare cases, this could indicate leukemia but not in isolation. Your doctor would have looked for other problems associated with that such as low red blood cell count etc.

If he had any doubt, I am sure he would have sent you for further tests right away rather than seeing how it is in a few weeks.

I know how you feel. I am worrying about headaches, temple pain, jaw pain, tinnitus and blurry vision that I have had for some time. It all points towards TMJ problems but I can't help thinking of other things.

I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your Christmas.

Take care x

Awwwwww Jo, bless you for your quick reply. Its amazing how someones kindness can lift our spirits. Your words gave me some positive hope to see me through christmas. Sounds like we need putting in a bag and shaking the pair of us LOL! I hope you too can put your worries to one side and have a truly scrumptious christmas! x

Hey my doctor gave me a good bit of advice about raised and lowered counts - what they consider 'raised' is only what's raised on their scale regarding what's 'normal' - some people are just not normal (i know i'm not!)... You're levels can change all the time, sometimes for virtually no reason, but they have to investigate things and flag things up, just in case. I have a low WBC but after a retest and several other tests they've come to the conclusion that mine are just naturally quite low.

Hope that helps and lets hope all of us can stop our worries ruining christmas! fingers crossed...

Jo is right

A WBC more than likely is a viral or bacterial infection. Leukemia and cancers are rare & not usual with a raised cell count. Mine was my wisdom teeth.

Dont worry its so so so so common to have an elevated count. Put it this way my patients the other day was 156 & there's was because they have a urine infection. NOT CANCER

xxx

Hello, PinkPiglet (love the name!) - everyone has given you good advice! A raised white count is MUCH more likely to be a sign of infection than anything sinister - if your GP had had any concerns, he would not have waited a few weeks to retest. In the current season of coughs and snuffles we probably all have slightly raised white counts, it's just that we don't know about it. Try to relax and enjoy Christmas - I am sure there is every reason to! Best wishes, Anne

Thankyou guys for all your comforting replies. Its helped me sort my head out and to stop worrying.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

Have a great christmas x

I too had this when I had a blood test and enquired why. The doctor said it could be something very simple like an abcess on my tooth or a slight infection. The next blood test I had was fine. Try not to worry I think it is quite normal.

Carol

everyone is right, and there are quick checks for signs of the other stuff you mentioned that your doc would have looked for if your count was out of the normal range, and would have picked up on immediately

Thread Information