Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Hoy and Panic Attacks!

Re: Chris Hoy and Panic Attacks!

I know that I've always been a perfectionist. My dad was quite strict with getting me to do my best all the time in both Athletics and football, and, whilst I performed well in both sports, the theory of it has stuck with me and I always play to win no matter what in anything I do, so I guess my perfectionist outlook coupled with the stresses in my life have moulded me into someone with panic disorder / anxiety.

Sorry Phil, I dont agree..... I respect your opinion, but feel if your panic attacks create phobia's, which leads onto a change in the way you live your life, this will naturally move onto depression.... Its the depression prevents you from flighting panic to overcome and get locked into the thought pattern that you will never be free.....

Its hard, as I have suffered panic attacks for many years... but know when I am strong and feeling good, is the time the panic attacks become few and far between

@Phil,

I know what you mean. Anxiety and panic is a very convenient pigoen hole that encompasses every varying degree. For people with the most severist attacks and constant anxiety it is unthinkable that someone can overcome it with just mind over matter. And that is the case. If you cannot leave your bed you may be an agoraphobic but another agoraphobic may be able to fly here, there and everywhere but occassionally experience panic when out.

I think it is hard when we are at the lower end to appreciate others success when it is out of proportion with our own. When I read that someone wasn't able to travel by plane and then did I am happy for them but cannot identify with them as I struggle to get to the end of my street. I think it is all relative.

On the point of Chris Hoy though I do really admire the guy. Anyone who had seen his fitness regime of basically pushing so hard that he collapses and usually is sick has to admire the amount of endurance the guy can sustain and doing it with whatever degree of anxiety just makes it all the more admirable. It makes me wonder. My case in my own mind is more severe but maybe I have the exact same amount of anxiety but he is just a stronger minded person. Who knows?

All the best

Nechtan

I don't agree with Phil either.

I've suffered with p/a/phobia for most of my life - what a horrid thought!! - and I have been through periods when I wasn't able to get out of my bed, and was too scared to even leave my room, nevermind the house, for months on end. But, then, I've also been through periods when I have flown - entirely alone! - all the way to the Far East, and despite my current ridiculous levels of anxiety, I went to Westminster Abbey for Midnight Mass. I had to take a fair whack of medication and I was panicking all most all the way through the service (couldn't even stand up for the hymns or sing them properly!), but I still did it.

I think if we didn't do our best to exert 'mind over matter' at least some of the time, none of us would be able to do very little indeed.

No one, least of all me, said it would be easy, on the contrary, it is exhaustingly difficult, but we all still do our very best - and that is the important bit.

x x

Quote Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
    I found this article after hearing that Chris Hoy - the Olympic gold medal winner who I am sure everyone has heard of - had experienced panic attacks!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ely-cure-.html

"Having seen so many athletes underachieve over the years through being anxious, Chris knew that if he wanted to win an Olympic medal, he'd have to conquer his anxiety attacks. 'Racing was my life and it meant so much to me,' he says."

The above quote really meant something to me - the desire to get on with life and not let the panic attacks beat us.

I find the fact that he has panic attacks and can still win Olympic gold medals really inspiring.
    Chaps - sorry to disappoint but Hoy was stitched up by the Mail:

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/n...Nightlead.html

omg! Thank you SO much for the article - I am soooooooo annoyed that a newspaper would print something like that, that is so blantantly untrue. Er, actually, I ought to be used to it by now... grrrr.

I was really taken aback by what Chris Hoy did say in the new article actually - unlike quite a few people, he is clearly an extraordinary person for not trivialising 'true' panic attack sufferers, and has a degree of empathy too.

Thank you for setting the record straight.

So Phil H was right, then! Chris Hoy does not suffer from genuine panic attacks!

I feel a bit of a prat for ordering the book that was recommended, now. But hopefully it will still be useful, as it is about dealing with stress, anxiety and depression.

Also, I believe what Chris Hoy was saying about positive visualisation is extremely useful to sufferers of panic disorder.

After all, it is only a small step from anxiety to panic, as we all know!

meltdown of course i was right,not down to big headedness but down to the fact i am a genuine chronic anxiety/panic sufferer.

Should this thread really be under PA's? I feel the Panic pause/ Humour is a more suitable chat room.

M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information