Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy on the 30th

Endoscopy on the 30th

Hi, I have to have an endoscopy on the 30 dec. I was meant to have one 5 years ago. I had the throat spray but could not manage to swallow the tube. The docs were not very nice to me and made me feel pathetic.. Had been fine for the last 4 and half years. Need to have one now as I have had acid reflux for the last 5 months. I am terrified. I know I can have sedation, but not remembering anything is not the same as being knocked out. I have a friend who has had several of these an has told me that they just hold you down and do it and the sedative is meant to make you not remember. At the moment I just can't face it, I can't sleep I am so worried about it. I have even thought that maybe I should not have it done, surely if I had cancer it would be a lot worse by now????
    Has anyone had one done?? What was it like ? Can I request extra sedation? I dont even think I will make it on to the bed at the minute.

Re: Endoscopy on the 30th

I have had IV sedation many times for teeth extraction, and if they have to hold you down, trust me, you won't care at all AND of course there is no memory of it either. You don't need 'extra' sedation - what they give you will be enough.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I have had 2 endoscopies. You are right in that this is not general anesthesia but more of an amnesiac, you don't remember anything. However, you also don't know what's happening! I had a colonoscopy also with this and knew nothing. I was petrified about swallowing a tube and the dr. said "When I did your colonoscopy, did you know anything? Do you trust me?" and I said "Yes" and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. I have no memory of anything going down my throat, nothing and neither will you. Believe me, if the patient moved, there could be trouble and they won't risk that. You are out in Mars when they do this! We are lucky that they have this kind of sedation...I know I could not be awake for this! Please let me know what happens. I have totally lost my fear of this after two. You will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!!

I had an endoscopy just 2 weeks ago and I was scared beforehand too, but a good friend assured me it would be ok and indeed it was. I chose sedation and don't remember anything about the procedure at all. My husband said I was giggling when I was wheeled back to my bed, so can't have been that bad eh!

I cant help you on this one, apart from wishing you luck and hope all is ok xx

i have mine on the 12th jan, please let me know how it goes as i am so scared of gagging or choking on it! im having it done coz the doc said i have lumps in my throat and they have to rule out cancer! ive been having the worst symptoms with my throat... it feels like its closing up and makes me gag for no reason which scares the life out of me! i really want to know whats wrong but dont know how im going to cope with this! thanks and i hope it goes ok for you... if u do it,i will! x

Thank you for all your support. I think I am most worried by the not remembering, I have been with my friend for endoscopy and you can hear people struggling and moaning and having problems with the procedure, NOT rembering what they have done to you is not the same as not being aware whilst they are doing it... I really don't think I can have this done at the moment. I may go to my GP tomorrow but I don't feel I trust the docs enough and once I am sedated I will have no control. I have a chronic cough and wheeze from Acid Reflux too. It is hideous that is why they give you something so you dont remember. I am not good with stuff a complete baby, I have bitten kicked and swore at more docs and dentists in my life than I care to count. I have cried and panicked and wept through the birth of my 3 children. I didnt just find child birth painful I was going to die it was so painful. I pass out if I have to have a filling at the dentist. I am so scared I will not be able to cope with this. I can see myself fleeing out of the room at first sight. Oh what to do I wish I was braver.

Quote Originally Posted by jannnne View Post
    NOT rembering what they have done to you is not the same as not being aware whilst they are doing it....
    Well it is really - the result is exactly the same. Even if I was aware at the time, I certainly didn't remember it seconds later. If you have no recollection of an event, you cannot be traumatised by it can you.

Hi Jannnne

I wish you luck and hope it all goes well for you

Carol x

Its the thought of them doing something to me and being out of control to stop it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information