Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy on the 30th

Re: Endoscopy on the 30th

I had this done in february (both ends!!!)

Please take the sedation option.... you wont feel a thing, you wkae up have a cup of tea and go home by the afternoon!!!

Im mom had it without and said although it was copable, it was not pleasant

Hi. I have not had this procedure done but have a feeling I'm going to have to have it done very soon. Please don't cancel...if the doctor has ordered this it is for a good reason. Besides if you don't have it done you may end up worrying about something being wrong anyway and sorry that you didn't have it done.

Have you ever been sedated before? It sounds like this is your first time. It sounds scary but really its no big deal. It's like you go to sleep and wake up. Whatever happens in the meantime...you won't care. I'm sure you won't punch the doctors or anything, as I said you probably aren't going to care what's happening to you.

I think I see what you are saying that you are kind of afraid that you are going to be awake in the moment and not like what they are doing and won't be able to stop it...as I said I haven't had the procedure but I'm pretty sure you will be relaxed and calm after they give you the sedative. Try to tell yourself that! Also, when you go in on the 30th, let the nurse or doctor know that you are feeling anxious about the procedure. Good luck, hun. I know you can do it!!

u ever tried diazepam? my doc has given me some to take before i go! im gonna go and see what the doc at the hospital has to say! apparently they can shine a mirror in your mouth and see down your throat with that! try and go... remember that u dont have to do anything u dont want to do! good luck xx

Thanks everyone for you very kind words. I have rung the hospital today and spoken to a nurse. She said I can give the the thumbs down if I want them to stop and they will make sure the sedation is working and will not try anything if I am not happy (they also told my friend all this before they held her down and did, on the grounds she would not remember, she does). I am going to go and see also going to my GP today to see if I can take anything in the meantime. They did say I could speak to my consultant about a general if I really needed to. I have been awake crying since 3 this morning, am worried my anxiety levels will be so high by tomorrow a hammer on the head wont calm me down.

Hey Jane,

I spoke to my mother about this earlier after I had read your post. I asked her about when she had it done and the "option" of sedation. She said she didn't have an option she was simply sedated and doesn't know how they would expect anyone to have it done un-sedated?! Anyway...hopefully you can get sedated in which case she said its a breeze! You know nothing and just wake up and don't even realize its over Hope I was able to set your mind at ease a bit more!! Be sure to update us!! Good luck

What to do now, nice nurse at hospital told me it would all be ok and they would not hold me down (do I believe her). Saw my GP too, who told me to cancel it as I was not a good candidate and far too anxious also offered me 20mg of diazepam there and then as I was in such a state. A plan, I think I will go tomorrow and see how I get on, if I dont feel happy I will ask to see the consultant again, my GP said there are other ways to test for tummy troubles. What does everyone think???

defo go and see what they say at the hospital, meet the doctor that way you can talk to him/her and see what they will do step by step! even if you dont go thru with it you will know what to expect next time you go! you do need to go sometime soon tho just to make sure everything is ok, will be thinking about you! they could also do a barrium swallow or maybe a scan but they wont do that for me in this country unsless i pay so not sure about the US! connie x

Hiya

I had an endoscopy done a few years ago without sedation (my choice) as I wanted to be aware of what was happening to me!
    Can I try and reassure you on something? Now you know that they have to pass the tube and have a look at what's going on down there, I can promise you that it would be practically impossible to do that on someone that was thrashing around! There are not enough people there to hold anyone down, i remember a total of three, the doc that passed the tube and gave me the throat spray (bleugh!) and a very sweet nurse who was by my head the whole time to ensure that I was ok. I was told to give a thumbs down if I was having any sort of problem, I was never given the impression that if I couldn't cope they would physically restrain me.
    There was also a another medic that came in the room near the end of the procedure who I frightened the living daylights out of.
    I laid very still while it was being done and immediately after the tube was removed, I sat up straight away, he thought I had been sedated and didn't expect me to suddenly move!
    I sat in the waiting area for 10 mins (no cuppa for the unsedated ) but then left and went to the nearest cafe for some refreshment.
    I do hope you are able to manage tomorrow, but if not, don't beat yourself up over it. I'm sure you can speak to your consultant and see what he/she advises.
    Take care

Well its today, my appt is at 8.45am, cant sleep am really worried dont know what i will do yet. I am hoping they may let my hubby in with me. Oh god I am so scared of gagging, I still cry when I feel sick and vomit. I so wish I was braver and not so scared, cant swim wont risk lifting my feet up, cant ride a bike in case i fall off, do they really think i will be able to swallow a hose pipe of a tube and lay there peacefully????

Ps I am in chat room if anyonw wants to keep me company,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information