Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Christmas Depression??

Post Christmas Depression??

Anyone else suffer from this? I get it every year. While Christmas in itself was great, its almost like there is a price to pay for having such a good time, and come around the 27th it hits like a ton of bricks.

I mean thats it, all the funs over, nothing to look forward to, the weathers grim this time of year and it will be back to work again soon, and then the struggle of another new year begins.

Sure you could go out and celebrate New Years, and the thought of doing that in itself will lift you up for a few days, but then New Years day it will come back and the depression will hit twice as hard as there really is nothing to look forward to,

Anyone else get this?

Re: Post Christmas Depression??

Hi

I think this is quite normal, I feel this way and I know people who don't suffer from anxiety that feel this way.

Christmas is a big hype and you are bound to feel a little depressed when all the celebrations are over. Glad you had a good Christmas.

Carol

I think that you have to distinguish these feelings with true depression. I guess that you have suffered from clinical depression n the past? I suggest that you keep a mood diary over the next couple of weeks. you can print these from the internet too. If your mood is persistently low and you are suffering from anxiety and changes in sleep and appetite then this could be clinical depression and needs to be addressed by a doctor. I have felt low recently too and have hoped that it isn't my clinical depression returning. Thankfully it has not. I hope you begin to feel better soon.

I've not slept well the past 2 nights, however I know its just a case of blues as it does come and go.

Hello Samtheman

Yes I to get this. I know the feeling your talkin about when you look forward to a holiday, then its over and normal life continues. I think after Christmas, New Year fresh start and spring isn't far away and oooh only another 51 weeks to go before Christmas again. He He. You''ll be fine Sam, put some music on and jig round the house through January.

Diane xxx

I have to agree with Elizabeth on this. Is it true clinical depression that you suffer? If it isn't and you get the blues when the fun times come to an end - but you enjoyed the fun times then it's not really proper clinical depression. I'm not unsympathetic though.

True depression is when you don't look forward to things like Christmas because you know you have to put on a big act for all the other happy people around you.

If you are suffering clinical depression then I feel deeply for you. If it isn't like Elizabeth said - do a diary and keep an eye on it. Take care .

Hi again

I'm just reading a post from Heather - this lovely darling girl is suffering depression with no doubt - also anxiety. She is describing real depressed feelings very well.

Love to all xx

I feel pretty much the same - I felt the most sort of balanced and un-anxious for ages over the last month. Almost back to my old self. I think maybe it was because I was keeping myself busy trying to sort stuff out for Christmas and everything that I did not have really that much time to think about the crappy year I have had.

Since Friday night I have felt a bit down in the dumps, but I usually do at this time of the year (just after Christmas) for as far back as I can remember. Although I have to admit to having drunk a bit too much alcohol this week, so maybe that has not helped.

I'm hopeful that the 2009 will be better to me than what 2008 has been. Hopefully it is the same for all you guys on here too :-)

I really miss Christmas when its over.

Most of all I miss all of the colorful lights at night. I know that soon they will all be taken down and everything will go back to being dark and dreary throughout the Winter.

I told my wife earlier tonight that I am going to miss our decorated tree. She said we could keep the tree up as long as I wanted to. I thought that was nice of her to offer that.

It's the little things in life.

For the last 3yrs I've been suffering from this, not from depression that is caused by my life, but by my actual anti-depressants. I find that whatever med I am on, I feel really detached on christmas. Sure they help, but as far as not feeling christmas? I don't think so. For that alone, it makes me incredibly depressed.

As an anxious person, I like feeling the excitement and anxiety provoking situations of christmas, for example meeting old faces etc. To me that is what christmas is... But on meds, I don't feel it, so therefore it feels wrong... I feel numbed... I don't feel 'anything'. Maybe this is normal? I don't know. But as an anxious person, this is the one time of the year I don't mind my anxiety...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information