Thread: Hello everyone

Hello everyone

Hi everyone! My name is Kat and i'm 22. It's great to find so many positive people who have panic attacks. I started having suffering from anxiety and panic disorder a year ago. My GP was convinced I would just 'get over it' but haven't. Last month I started CBT, has anyone else found this helpful? It's going well at the moment.

Hi Kat,

CBT is the best thing he could have done for you. Excellent.

We have several people who are in the process of having CBT who will comment further.

I didn't just get over mine either as my GP promised I would ....and there was no CBT offered either.

Welcome to the site, have a good hunt about using the search facility and do come back and post some more on anything at all that you'd like to hear more about or have a question or comment on.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Kat

The first doctor I spoke to regarding my panic attacks told me to have a baby as this would take my mind off it!! Needless to say I never took her advice..although 3 years on and I still suffer panic attacks and anxiety.

Anyway, you will definetly receive lots of support and advice from everyone on this forum. I always felt alone and embarassed about admiting I suffered anxiety, probably because I thought peoples attitudes towards me would change (stupid I Know). This would never happen on this forum no matter how bad you felt or what symptoms you are experiencing.

Have a read at some of the previous messages and Im sure there will be someone here that has similar symptoms to yourself.

Let us know a litle more about how your panic attacks began at what symptoms you experience etc..

Keep in touch

sadie

well said sadie,welcome kat...bryan.

Hiya Kat,

it's weird at 1st my GP said the same!!

I am going to CBT and thought combined with this site I am slowly getting there

Love
    lucky

Hi
    Thanks everyone. I can't believe how kind and supportive everyone is on this site.
    I started having my panic attacks after I was bullied at work. I had always been a confident person but tuned into a complete mess. My first panic attack was at Heathrow airport! I was due to fly to America with my family and just couldn't get on the plane. At the time I hadn't even heard of panic attacks. My lips,arms and legs went tingly, my heart was pounding and beating so fast, my chest was so painful it was hard to breath, I really thought I was going to die and had to run and get away from the airport.
    I refused to get on the plane and begged my family to go without me which they refused to do. We all drove home, I think my family were more scared than me, I just sat in the car shaking and jibbering.
    My mum forced me to go to the doctors as soon as we got home and he said I had had a panic attack.
    It took me a few weeks to accept he was telling me the truth.
    The following day my family suggested we drove up to Scotland instead(we live in Northamptonshire), 'brilliant' I thought 'no planes'. How wrong I was. As soon as we hit the now dreaded M6 I freaked. Everything went tingly and I wanted to jump out of the car. Luckily we were approaching a services and pulled over.
    At this point I had no idea how much panic attacks could intrude on your everyday life.
    I was determined to get to Scotland. It was the worst car journey ever but with the support of my boyfriend I got there!!! and when I saw the sign for Edinburgh I was so happy I cried!

Sorry for rambling. I'm glad so many people out there are fighting back and not letting this take over.
    Kat x

Well done for not giving in and admiting you have a problem.

You are now two steps nearer to getting better. Hang on in there CBT really does work, you just have to be patient. You are learning life skills, so don't expect a "quick cure". Also be prepared to hit some down patches - and don't let them put you off. They are normal. Just be confident you are having a blip, and that very soon you will be back on track.

I'm not being negative - just realistic. I was doing really well on CBT, then I had a blip and panicked that I was going "mad" again! However, my counsellor told me I was perfectly normal, to expect it, and that it would soon pass. Just her telling me this made me start to feel better, right there and then!

Charlie

hi ,kat welcome aboard .i,m a newbie myself .its great your family and b/f understand whats going on .at first you feel all alone .you,re not .we all suffer from "the panics"and ,hopefully we,re all here to help .dont be afraid to ask for advice .take care.

Hiya Kat

Sorry I missed this first post. Welcome to the site - you are amongst friends here. Let us know if you need any help.

Nicola

Thread Information