Thread: How Can I Tell When Citalopram "Stops Working"?

How Can I Tell When Citalopram "Stops Working"?

I've only been taking 20mg for a week and 2 days...i know it takes at least a month for these pills to take effect but lately i've just been feeling kinda normal...like i did before i took these pills.

I felt great during the first few days, there was even a time where i felt like i "wanted" to go outside for a walk...and this is coming from a hermit! But now i sort of feel like the pills i'm taking are a placebo or something...i feel nothing, like they're not working or something. I haven't even had any headaches, nauseous feeling or tiredness?

Obviously, i'm going to stick it out for a few more weeks and see how it goes but i was just wondering?

Are these signs that perhaps 20mg is too weak for me and that i should either "up my dose" or take a stronger med?

Re: How Can I Tell When Citalopram "Stops Working"?

Hi there

Stay in there this drug does work but consult your GP as you may need to increase the dose. 20mg is still a small dose.

You should also know that you have to stay on these meds for at least 7 - 8 months to get the full benefit.

Best of luck

Amdrew

Thanks for the reply, Andrew!

Think i might ask my doctor if i can up my dose to 40mg!

Thanks again!

If you're feeling fine why would you want to increase the dose???

Because even though i feel fine/normal/so-so/neutral, i don't feel BETTER than before i took these pills and i feel like i "should" be feeling better. I guess i expect MORE, and if i do, then perhaps that's because 20mg is too weak and i should increase my dose until i feel satisfied?

I haven't even had any side effects, if people complain about tiredness, nausea etc then surely thats a good sign that things are happening and action is taking place in their bodies but that hasn't happened to me at all. I might aswell be swallowing a tic-tac a day!

Obviously i'll give it 3/4 more weeks as it's still early days, but if i still feel neutral like i do now, then i'm upping my dose!

Hi Again

As I said before hang in there. Please remember that the way to recovery is 2 - 3 steps forward and one back so dont despair if you have a blip. As for increasing the dose I am sure your doctor will advise you.

Not everybody gets side effects with these pills so dont think they are not working just consider yourself fortunate that youre not getting them.

Best of luck

Andrew

I guess i should've called this topic "how can i tell when it's time to up my dose"!

Nonetheless thanks for the reply andrew, i'll take your advice and give it a few more months!!

Thread Information