Thread: Is Hypnotherapy worth the money?

Is Hypnotherapy worth the money?

Hi all,

I am interested in visiting a hypnotherapist in order to try and help my health and social anxiety.

Having skimmed the forum, I notice many people have been for dozens of sessions, but at nearly £50 a time at some places, it's not something I can readily afford (or want to, if it's a waste of money! =s)

How many sessions, on average, would it take for a person to notice any difference? And does there come a point where you no longer need it, and can carry on as normal?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Is Hypnotherapy worth the money?

I have just finished a course of hypnotherapy (had 8 sessions) to help me get over emetophobia. I found it has helped a lot. I no longer worry everyday about one of my children getting ill and I don't spend the whole day worrying or feeling sick if someone has phoned in sick at work or I overhear a conversation about someone having been ill recently. The only thing I have found (which I think is more specific to emetophobia but may not be) is that I am never going to be overjoyed if myself or my children get ill as nobody likes being ill or having to deal with someone else which is a bit annoying as it would be lovely to never ever have to worry about this again.

I would definitely recommend hypnotherapy, I know it is expensive (I paid £70 a session) but I would have paid anything to be at the point I am now. It's definitely worth a try x

Thank you for your reply, Missy.

I've found a hypnotherapist via the recommended links on this site, so I'm going to give them a ring tonight.

How many sessions did you have before you noticed a difference in yourself? Are you going back for more?

Hi Kata,

I'm currently undergoing a mixture of counselling and hypnotherapy through a private therapist who charges £30 per session. I was sceptical at first but it's definitely helping and I'm slowly moving forwards. The therapist has also taught me something called 'tapping' which works by tapping different parts of your body to release anxiety. I'm so grateful to my therapist because with his help I've started to achieve again and I get on really well with him.

I did have one session with another therapist around last August but that did absolutely nothing for me. He was offering me one session and a tape which I was quite dubious about because I felt I needed a course of hypnotherapy. My advice would be to shop around and try to find a therapist who you gel with because it's then definitely worth it. Most therapists will also offer a free consultation so it's worth taking the time to find the right one.

Feel free to drop me a pm if you want to know more about my experiences of hypnotherapy.

Take care,

Mike

I agree with nibbles.
    A course of hypnotherapy is good and most supply a good quality cd to listen to inbetween sessions to compliment the therapy.

I never had any success with this treatment......but we are all different....
    Good luck.....

I think that any therapy and how one responds to it is depends on the individual, what might work for one may not work for another.. I have tried various therapies including hypnotherapy and cbt and a few others and i cannot say that i have felt a huge benefit with any of them, i do however think that the therapy is only as good as the therapist and its just as important to find someone that you feel comfortable and relaxed with..

I just had one session and now every time I hear the word yikes I bark like a dog lol

seriously I felt so relaxed after but will keep ya posted as to how it goes

Thread Information