Thread: I'm an OCD thinker and didn't realise

I'm an OCD thinker and didn't realise

Hi All

I am new to this section of the site. I have always categorised myself as GAD which I would still say I am as well. I was speaking to my therapist yesterday and he said I think in an OCD way. I don't have any rituals in terms of actions but once I get a worry into my head I find it very difficult to let go of it. (He believes this comes from uncertainty in my early life). I constantly do a mental check to see if this thought it has become reality. For example when I was really anxious when getting on a plane I began to think what is the worse that could happen? I thought about how hearing voices would be awful and I imagined what it would be like to hear voices, this sent me into a huge panic just before boarding the plane! The whole 3.5 hour journey home I was checking whether I was hearing voices. This was about a month ago and I still check though less often now and still worry about it.

I have spoken about this on the GAD forum but haven't had much of a reponse.

Any similar experiences or tips appreciated!

Re: I'm an OCD thinker and didn't realise

Your therapist could be right. OCD has many forms and constant worry of a single thought is one of them. I myself am a washer and checker with the ocassional thought that wont quit. A big part of any anxiety is "what if". Try and remember that thoughts are just that...a thought that nags until it has gotten hold so tight you are panicked. Try and retrain your brain when a thought comes. Think of something else or you can do what I learned. I count to a hundred with no other thought in my head but those numbers. If a thought pps in, I start over until it clears. It takes a while at first, but once you can get your mind on board it gets easier. Take care.

Thread Information