Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cipralex - side effects and timing

Re: Cipralex - side effects and timing

I might as well throw in a reply of my own here, since I've been on this med for exactly 6 weeks today. I was under the impression that it would take only a couple of weeks before I would see the real effect and be rid of most of the side effects. The side effects were horrible at first - there was no way I could have gone to work. I couldn't drive, watch TV or even read a couple of lines of text without feeling terrible (communicating on this forum was quite a challenge). After one and a half week the side effects had not decreased, and I started to doubt the 2 week promise would hold. I asked a couple of people here on the forum and they both said the same thing: 6-8 weeks before the side effects go away. So now that I've been on them for 6 weeks I must admit that they were right. I still feel just a tiny bit nauseous during the day, but not so much that it bothers me. The only side effect that still bothers me is the inability to stay asleep. I still wake up several times a night, but usually I fall right back to sleep. Some times, however, I will wake up with a feeling of "going mad", and that is quite uncomfortable. I never had any problem with sleeping until I started on Cipralex.

We're all different in the way we react to these chemicals, and while some people don't experience side effects at all even without gradually increasing their dose, there are people like me that are rendered unable to work for weeks. I don't say that you'll have to cope with this for two whole months, but that has been the case with others as well as myself, so don't despair should this take more than just a couple of weeks.

As for the dose, I found out that splitting my dose (10mg) into 5mg doses that I take 12 hours apart gave the least amount of side effects.

Be patient, positive and optimistic. Keep a log of the good days and the bad days, and you'll see a steady increase in the good ones. That's part of what got me through these couple of months. Good luck

Hiya, iv only been taking cipralex for 5 days & iv been taking them at night, i'm only 23 and i wake up in the night severel times & i have never had any problems sleepin' untill i took these tablets. When i do manage to get to sleep i grind my teeth in the night which i never did untill again taking these tablets it wakes my partner, but dosnt wake me. I also feel as tho im comin' down off an extercy tablet on these. Does any-one have these problems?.

hi there
    its still early days and its just the initial side effects - this will pass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information