Thread: Cardiologist says I have SVT?

Cardiologist says I have SVT?

Hi all,

I have been having major problems with my heart for years. Out of the blue I will have an ectopic which will lead to my heart flipping out and beating very oddly - almost as though it is about to come out of my chest and it will feel as though it is beating out of rhythum. I have had it measured at hospital many times at 200 bpm

The cardiologist looked at my millions of ECG's and said I have a condition called SVT. Anyone else have this or could shine a bit of light on it? He sais I wont die but is making me have an ultrasound on my heart to put my fears of anything else to rest.

Thanks
    Cazz

Re: Cardiologist says I have SVT?

I don't have this condition, but I know that a lot of people do and it is completely manageable with medication. I was sent to the hospital in October because they wanted to test me to see if I had this. Basically, the nurse at my doctor's office explained it to me this way: it's like a "tickle" in your heart. She said that it was very easily manageable with medication and as long as the structure of your heart is OK (according to an echo), it poses no serious health risks. She knows a lot about it 1.) because she is a nurse and 2.) her best friend has it. She acted like it was no big deal.

Hope this helps a little.

I have svt, take a beta blocker, its scary but safe, when its really bad I go to A&E to be sure

its common though,

Hey there

Dont worry to much my nan has had this since she was in her teens and shes now 76 and occasionaly gets it now she doesnt like the medication so she controls it herself with breathing and relaxing lol but thats not advisable sometimes so just follow the docs advice and in doubt dont be afraid of the gp we all pay our NI so use them hope this post sees you in good health

God bless x

If you Google SVT and Tony Blair, you will find that this is what he had.

He first had an unsuccessful electrocardioversion, then opted for ablation.

So he obviously did not want to settle for a drug regime. Apart from drugs the next port of call is electrocardioversion, then ablation.

As far as I can recall, SVT responds well to ablation, but there is a waiting list. In addition ablation is not without risk. Google SVT and ablation to get more information.

Thumbs up Re: Cardiologist says I have SVT?

Hey there - I have SVT and have had it with great significance since the age of 11.

Have you been given any advice on triggers of eptopics??

You should cut out alcohol (bummer), caffeine (tea, coffee, coke etc.), and artificial sweetners!

These are the 3 main causes of palpatations and eptopics and patients with SVT.

I have avoided all of these (except the odd glass of wine) for 18 months - 2 years and have been fine! I was discharged from my cardiologist in January .

It is hard work but is you don't want surgery and those dreaded meds stick with it - give it a go promise you will see an improvement shortly!

If you want any more advice etc. give me a shout - Been through it all, living with the condition for over 15 years xx

Whats SVT? I don't want to google lol

had it since i was young, had an easy surgery ( and i'm ulta senstive, but you can go home after getting it fixed!) it'd been a year, and SO far it hasn't come back.. knock on wood :( I guess it can't harm you, so they say.

Thread Information