Thread: Should I really take this stuff???

Should I really take this stuff???

I was panic and anxiety free for nearly 2 years up until a few weeks ago.
    I used to be on citalopram 20mg years ago but came off it as had been fine.
    But a few weeks ago ive been hit with the anxiety and panic attacks big time.
    I went to the doctor who gave me more citalopram but this time round they made feel awful so stopped them. I then went back to the doctor who then suggested i take Paroxetine and after reading all the coments on the forum im now having second thoughts, this is my second day on them now and have felt no difference really, but if i keep going will i get all these awful symptoms??? any advice would be a great help to me.

All the best

Scott

Re: Should I really take this stuff???

Scottie

I have to say that i know there are scare stories about this drug - i used to be on it and am now on cipralex - i was on it for 6 yrs and its the onl med that really helped my anxiety -

Not sure what to suggest really, because some people are totally fine on it. It can take weeks before it starts working by the way.

my dr does not like this drug. It was a new wonder pill once but has been superceded by more refined and 'cleaner' ones. I thought they helped me for 11 years but now I am not so sure!?! Discuss options and concerns with ur dr? I ask pharmacists too. If it suits you ....go for it. Good luck x

I've been on Paroxetine first for two years, then off for two then back on for the last 3. I've chatted at length to a neurologist here about it and he says what I think anyone on the forums here says - if it works it works.

I know absolutely that's no help, but I've read the horror stories and the downsides and I've never had any of it. It took a good month or two to really kick in (my doc gave me amitryptiline to get me through the first couple of weeks). Think my biggest problem is a fair bit more sweating in the summer - although I'm happy to put up with that for stopping the anxiety. I don't know if there's much I can say that would solve things one way or another but I'd say at least hang in for at least two or three weeks and see what happens. Always about if you need anything (like all the fine people on this forum)!

Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    I've been on Paroxetine first for two years, then off for two then back on for the last 3. I've chatted at length to a neurologist here about it and he says what I think anyone on the forums here says - if it works it works.

I know absolutely that's no help, but I've read the horror stories and the downsides and I've never had any of it. It took a good month or two to really kick in (my doc gave me amitryptiline to get me through the first couple of weeks). Think my biggest problem is a fair bit more sweating in the summer - although I'm happy to put up with that for stopping the anxiety. I don't know if there's much I can say that would solve things one way or another but I'd say at least hang in for at least two or three weeks and see what happens. Always about if you need anything (like all the fine people on this forum)!
    How much amitriptyline did you have and when did you take it tomo?

Unforunatly the effects don't come in until a few weeks, give them time to work.

I am on them and I have found them really effective.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Quote Originally Posted by reallyfedup View Post
    Discuss options and concerns with ur dr? I ask pharmacists too. If it suits you ....go for it. Good luck x
    I phoned up a pharmacist yesterday about Seroxat and he said it should starting working after 3 days, I think we all know thats rubbish! I would not go back to him again

Sorry for the slow reply...the amitryptiline has been given to me both times I started Paroxetine and I think in both cases the doctor just played around (or something more technical) until it worked.

The first time I was told to take a tablet (not sure what size was in the dosage whenever I had a bad panic attack, up to a maximum of 2 or 3 a day and not to do this if I could possibly help it (so as not to develop a dependancy). The second time was more controlled and was a German medicine called Syneudon (basically amitryptiline). Then I took the full tablet (50mg) once a day for two or three days in the first week. The doctor varied a couple of times taking half in the morning then half in the evening, then all in the morning, then all in the evening, until something worked (all in the evening). Then I went down to half tablets for the rest of the first month on paroxetine and tailed off (quarter tablets, then one every other day etc.) after the paroxetine kicked in.

It's not a perfect solution as the amitryptiline can make you feel a bit dizzy and very very sleepy...but it did do the job of breaking that panic cycle that can happen. Think this is especially when you think you've started taking paroxetine and feel like nothing's happening - I know it can feel like it will never make it better but it will...just hang in there!

Thread Information