151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Male

56 37.09%
  • Female

95 62.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Male or female?

Male or female?

You know how they say that females are generally more sensitive and hence more prone to anxiety disorders? Well, I do not fully agree with this statement, so I was just wondering how many of you are men...
    Thanx for voting!
    Ana

Re: Male or female?

At a guess.I would say men are more afraid to talk about it.So it just seems to be more females.There are a lot of people who have known me for years that dont dont i have had problems.

I once went to a stress and anxiety class, there were just as many men as women. we guys incline to bottle up all our problems and do nothing about them, I know I did for most of my life, then one day I couldn't carry on with anything, I just cracked up and couldn't stop crying. That was when I went for help.

I think females are more likely to ask for help

Thank you, guys for your replies. Interesting how men normally do not like to ask for help. However, I must admit I behaved like a guy up to a point, meaning that I was reluctant to ask for help. I had problems accepting there was something wrong with me. Being "macho girl" did not work though

I think a lot of sufferers put off getting help. Its hard to trust others if you are anxious/stressed/paniced/depressed - any of the visible conditions - for some people with good reason given past events.

One member I've talked to felt that things (especially social anxiety and similar setups) seemed to affect females at an early age (teens) but catch men out when they get older. I can certainly confirm the male part. I cannot recall any particular issues as a youngster but got more uncertain as time progressed - from my late 30s I guess. Initially it was very subtle and its only looking back you can see the influence. Also found confidence at work was unaffected but personal decisions became much worse.

hi,

im female. I think men are less likely to ask for help where as women will ask for help.

Kevin, I agree about women starting to suffer from anxiety in their teens (or adolescence). I was 13 when I had my first panic attack. I also put off asking for help. None of my friends knew about my problems and it took me a year of suffering from violent all-day-long panic attacks before I finally made an appointment with a therapist.
    But, I don't think that anxiety chooses really. Makes no difference if you're a guy or a girl...I guess

All woman here.

Hi

Well I am female.

But my downfall was/is that I find it very difficult to seek help, even from my closest people.

The help I feel I really need, I am unable to find the self-worth/courage to ask for, as I was once refused.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I am my own worst enemy, and as I come across to most people as a coper, I am left too it.

I agree, it must be real hard for blokes to be honest about how they feel/ask for help.

But I have to say, it is maybe just a hard for some women.
    For me, it is because of the way I was brought up.

cheerio
    Hope (with none)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information