Thread: think i have lost job

think i have lost job

Been having panic attacks since march this year but recently have been feeling a lot better after doctor started me on medication, felt almost back to normal..I'm a nurse and managed ok at work in new ward until yesterday.Everyone was talking about london all day and saying scotland would be next because of G8 here but I kept calm ok. Then at 2pm we were told to evacuate the hospital at first non essential staff and visitors. Immediatly I lost the plot and said we should all get out and get the patients out cos we would all die was crying and shaking.The nurse in charge was disgusted with me and told me to getr out I was no help/managed to clam down then was told to get the patients out after all. It was chaos there wasent enough chairs we are on 8th floor and had to use lifts, I got 2 people out then had to go back to ward to stay with the remainder who were too ill to move. I was totally useless and having a major panic attack the whole time being trapped on the 8th floor made it worse. Eventually it turned out a false alarm. Got into major trouble, told I am not fit to work on a ward get home and think twice about coming back look at the state of me. What made it worse is that being a new ward they dont know what i used to be like very reliable and good in an emergency. I know it is true i am no use as a nurse anymore if only this hadent happened i think i could have got better. Now I feel such a coward and a failure for letting everyone down I didentd want to react in that way but the panic took over. i feel I have nothing to come expet unemployment, panic attacks etc I was so upset about what happened in london I know my troubles is nothing compared to that. I try to be positive and think at least everyone is ok it wasent a real bomb but i am so ashamed of myself. Sorry for moaning thought it might help to talk about it.i dont know what to do now I know i cant go back to nursing you need people calm in a crisis.

hi Shona,

Did they fire you or just yell at you?

Yesterday was a horrible day and many of us were scared. You shouldn't be ashamed of that..

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Hi Shona,

I'm so sorry to hear how you were treated .. When you're a nurse you learn to react professionally as far as others peoples illnesses are concerned but we never know how we will react when its us we feel is in danger..

Having seen you in a state it was a silly decision to send you back up to the ward rather than staying outside.

*I know it is true i am no use as a nurse anymore* This is a wrong statement . I'm sure you are still fine at looking after patients and they can't take your registration away for this.

Contact the RCN and NWC proactively so if you do get approached by the hospital you already have checked out
    what you need to do next.

What has been said since ?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Shona.

Please Don't worry hun it's not your fault. Some People are bound to react when they are scared no matter how professional they are. It's worse for us panickers hey!

I hope you don't loose your job.

Take care & let us know how you get on.

Love PIP'S X X

Shona

Welcome aboard the forum.

We we all upset after yesterday's events so no wonder you were feeling a bit shaky as well.

Are you able to talk to them about this and explain that you had "one of those days" or do you think that is the end of that job forever?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

The nurse who gave me into trouble dosent have the authority to sack me and charge nurse is on holiday. I'm sure she will try and get me fired i could tell how much she despied me for being so weak. Going to occupational therapy tuesday they were really understanding before and said a lot of nurses get panic disorder. Some staff were outside crying during the bombscare so maybe the fact I stayed in the ward will count in my favour, i dont know wasent much use anyway. Even if i dont get sacked I will probably resign cos patients need someone to rely upon which clearly isent me at the moment. Also I never want to see the 2 nurses who shouted at me again I feel so ashamed. The other staff were lovely and really nice to me they all stayed so calm throughout I dont know how they coped. Thanks for replying it was good to speak to people who also have panic attacks.

Shona,

The charge nurse also cannot sack you. She will have to take statements, decide what grounds she wants to complain on, take it to HR and I expect you might get summonded for a discussion which may result in a warning but no more than that . You were not the only one during yesterday not to cope fully with all the events of the day..

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Wow Shona - I actually think you were very very brave!

I am now working in the medical industry and I have the utmost respect for nurses now seeing what they have to cope with on a day to day basis.

Please do not be so harsh on yourself, you reacted in a human way that is all, I am sure when you sign up with the NMC they don't request that you turn into a lump of un-thinking stone before you get your PIN.

Please don't leave your career, there are not enough great nurses as it is. You said that you use to be great in an emergency, you will be again when you get proper support and that includes from your work colleagues - they have a duty of care towards you too.

If you decide to leave this particular nursing post, get your CV to me and I will help you get a position that you deserve!

Take care...Angie

Hi Shona

You've had great replies and I'd like to say I agree with all of them and that nursing is an incredible profession ( I did a couple of years training a million years ago when I was 18, so I know).

Please don't be hard on yourself you are allowed to be human too!!

Angie's supportive post alone would be enough for me to come out fighting let alone all of the others.

Don't give up your career on the basis of this happening - we need sensitive nurses just as much as we need any other personality types.

Love Piglet

thank you so much to everyone...I appreciate your support so much i cant tell you how much better you have made me feel. Today I made myself go out had to take dog to vet, went on bus then to supermarket. When I had my 1st panic attack(for no paticular reason thought it was asthma attack till I collapsed and was given IV diazepam) I couldent leave the house for 2 weeks and had feelings of suffocation and palpatations for days afterwards. But today I feel ok which shows me I must be hell of a lot better than I was a few months ago. Im not going to let it beat me. I dont know yet what will happen with work but even if I'm not capable of nursing at the moment I am determined to get fully ok and go back to it eventually. Need to get over this and make the most of my life as thursday has brought home how short life can be and how lucky I am just to be alive. thanks againxx

Thread Information