Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: depersonalisation

depersonalisation

how does anyone cope with this i get this 24/7

Re: depersonalisation

hi bab,
    i try to, how do you feel?? i feel unreal inside and out, and sometimes parts of my body dont feel like they belong to me and the feelings are so weird you feel like you will be committed if you tell anyone!!

hope u feel betterxx

parisdebxx

Unhappy Re: depersonalisation

hi paris thanks for replying

i just feel so wierd - like im here but im not really here and i need to pinch myself to keep me grounded - so horrible

Hi there, I have suffered with this on and off for 3 years now. I have had it before too and it always goes completely but here is a link to an article that tells you about it and it may take the fear out of it for you. I know it has helped me.
    http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/deper...alisation.html

This is the 2nd time I have posted this link today. I dont mind if it helps people because I know just how this feels.

Shirley

thanks so much for replies - and thanks shirley - its really helpful

bab, I first started experiencing depersonalisation when I was nine years old and it absolutely terrified me for many years, especially as if I tried to describe it to anyone they just looked at me blankly - especially the medical profession. 55 years later I still experience it sometimes, especially when I'm going through a particularly stressful time, as I have been for the last five months. I used to dig my nails into the palms of my hands until they bled or even cut myself (not recommended) to try and bring myself 'back' into the moment, but lately I've just started thinking "this is interesting, let's go into this and try and find out what's really happening - you've exerienced it for so long and it hasn't done you any harm." So every time I start to feel depersonalised now I try to go into it and examine it, and amazingly it disappears. It thrives on our fear, deprive it of that and it goes away - or at least that's my experience. Sadly I haven't managed to deal so successfully with other frightening symptoms. I think its origins are in our brain's attempts to somehow 'protect' and 'remove' us from trauma, but that's not much help if it only terrifies us even more.
    Last edited by BNCfan; 21-01-09 at 11:20.

thanks so much bnc x

HI Bab

I get this alot, and I think it's one of the worst symptoms cos you start to think you are going mad. I got it really bad in Dec 07 and I really really thought I was going to end up i a padded cell......which scared me even more.

It comes and goes now, at the moment it's here again cos I'm pregnant and scared. It tends to come back when I'm stressing about something, so I know it's anxiety that causes it.

I try to distract myself. I find cross stitch very useful as you have to concentrate, it totally absorbs me to the point that I forget the depersonalisation. Cross words are also good for me.....but you may find something else helps.

Walking is good too as I find sitting in the house makes me feel a bit hemmed in and the dp gets worse, even though the house is my safe zone. It helps to work off any adrenaline too.

The main thing to remember is that this is a common and totally harmless symptom of anxiety and as with all the others, it gets far worse when we focus in on it.

thanks so much andie xx

Hi bab, I am glad you found the article helpful. BNCfan talks about going into the DP and examining it. Well last night I was in a DP state (I am now come to that!) and I sat there quietly for half hour or 3/4 saying to myself, "Well ok, I know you cant harm me, there is nothing seriously wrong, nothing awful is going to happen, everything is fine so just enjoy what you are watching on TV" etc etc etc. The next thing I knew, the DP was a lot less again! I felt like I "talked myself" out of that episode. Also I agree that like other anxiety symptoms, it thrives on fear or if we get upset with it and try and push it away, it gets worse. So best to just talk ourselves through it or like Andrea says, do some CrossStitch or knitting or anything to distract ourselves. I notice that when my mind is totally off the DP, its not there so distraction is great too. And of course the artcle at the above link. I was so glad when I found that!!

Shirley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information