Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: train journey-help

train journey-help

Hi, i am going to see my boyfriend (as we are home from uni, grrr), on thursday and althuogh he is meeting me some of the way he cant go too far, so i have a 2hr and 20 minute train journey ahead of me.

To explain how big this is, i have basically messed up my first year of uni cos i got "scared" to go to lectures and burried my head in the sand instead of trying to sort it out. And i don't like going place 5 minutes away on my own let alone this far so its mad, and like so many im sure, i have avoided public transport.. so this is going to be a hard thing for me.

I have been on a train twice recently on my own to a friends house, only 3 stops away from me, but i did it as to proove i could, and althogh i didnt like the second time too much, i still did it.
    I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice on how i can survive this journey in one piece as i dont want to have my boyfriend meet me and me being in a state as it would dampen the joy of seeing each other again.

Thanks, Emily X

Power of the mind is incredible, we got thinking negative by it, we can get out thinking positive too!

Hi Emily,

What about making yourself up a little comforting pack,

food and snacks and water/drink
    magazine
    use your mob to send texts to all your friends (that will use some time and you will get some back to distract yourself).
    rescue remedy
    neroli or lavender essential oil on a cottonwool ball to sniff if you feel panic coming to break the chain.
    Say to yourself its not where you are thats the problem its your way of thinking 'you are calm and confident in any situation'
    I've also had some success recently with actually letting the panic come and wash over me and move on its way rather than rushing around trying to find ways of avoiding feeling it. It does feel like a wave washing over me and away - this for me has been a little breakthrough.
    I'm sort of semi agoraphobic - in that I will go out but not on my own (other than my own road that is) and do go on buses a lot. This dropping my shoulders and relaxing/flopping and letting the feeling come is certainly taking the sting out of it for me.
    Also realise should you have a panic attack anybody on the train would want to help - by nature helping others brings out the best in pretty well all of us so we like doing it!!

Love Piglet

What would be in your 'Anxiety Toolbox'?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Emily

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice on how i can survive this journey in one piece </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    You WILL definitely survive it, no doubts, our worries can make us believe the most horrible things and worse scenarios...but after all these are just thoughts...anticipatory anxiety is usually far scarier than the experience itself. You will be fine.

I hope that helps.
    Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Don't know what to suggest Emily that no-one has already, but just to let you know that we will all be thinking of you.

[^][^][^]

MANDIE XX

The ideas here are all really good. Good luck Emily!!

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

I'm really bad on trains too....strangely before i really new what my prob was i could still go on them now i understand it I'm too scared so miss seeing my friend in london...anyway when I DID go on it i made sure I sad in the direction the train was going and had a good book with me,.....one I couldn't put down...and distracted myself with that! when I got there I'd stand on platform until everyone had gone 2 calm myself! how about a relaxtion cd? I've found that I can lose myself in someone telling me im a capable person!

Hey, the post i sent saying i was going on the train to go see my boyfriend is relevant to this so i thought instead of writing a new one id add to this.. as i am basically going to see Mark again on the 1st of Sep on the same time train as it was good for mark picking me up and gives me half a day more than if i went friday morning.
    I am pretty ok about it at the moment, some few fadey type thoughts of, i hope i dont feel sick and that the time doesnt go really slow and i get wound up etc... so some of the usual thoughts but also i dont have the benefit of being so nervous like last time, that i kinda numb myself to it.. Hmm.. we shall see eh?
    I just thought i'd say the few minor concerns (not panic or worry which is good).. but if i do feel really nervous at any point ill be sure to write about it, but i know the support i had last time is here again this time which is really good to know!
    Emily X

Power of the mind is incredible, we now think negative by it, we can get out thinking positive too!

Over the last year I have developed a fear of travelling on the train.... This is something I have to do everyday to get to work but what used to be quite a pleasant thing for me to do has become a bit of a nightmare...

It all started when I my symptoms seemed to be constant and I had no relief form them and I had some scary moments on the train when I felt I would pass out or soemthing else when happen.... from there everytime I go on the train I have this fear that I will lose control and something will happen to me and I will be alone....

I even look to see who I am sitting next too as it makes me feel better to think that in a crisis this person will be able to help me.... (weird I know) I dont know whether this is a survival thing or not or I am really losing my marbles....

To see me through my journey each day... I have a bottle of water with resuce remedy in it, a good book or a magazine to keep my mind active and I always have my mobile phone charged incase I need it.... use anything that will distract you from worrying about panicking.

I am sure your journey will go without a hitch but if you take a panic attack dont worry about it as it will pass...

sadie

sadie wots the the rescue remedy in the water bottle?
    thanx

metal,rock, and hardcore music is my life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information