Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, New, Suffer Driving Phobia & Panic Attacks

Hello, New, Suffer Driving Phobia & Panic Attacks

Hi

I'm Tricia and this is my blurb.

I have a lot of books about Anxiety and psychology which I keep from display for obvious reasons. I thought I knew it all from reading the books. I have a maths degree and a organisational behaviour degree so it's not like I'm unable to look inwardly or logically. I visited this site many years ago when hardly anyone ever posted so never got much from it and decided to revisit it again as I was looking to see if there were any new coping skills. Anyway having read alot over the past 3 or 4 days We all seem to have read books and have an understanding of why we are what we are.

I've been left with a driving on my own phobia which I'm getting CBT for. I also get panic attacks too, but not very often anymore other than driving/public transport/interviews etc Developing a driving phobia has limited my life horribly. A once independant person relying on lifts not being able to do what I wanted to do. Socially not been able to a night class or go to the pictures on my won. Generally my life being work and housework.

In my opinon it doesn't matter whether you have lost a parent , been abused physically/emotionally, been in accident, been like this for decades etc etc they are all excuses to stop moving forward. That sounds harsher than its meant to sound, I'm talking simplisticly of course. None of it is conscious behaviour.

It started 11 years ago. My excuses were that in a 6 week period my flatmate got raped outside our flat, I had my finals that week so I couldnt go to one of my exams as I was being questioned.I got mugged at a cashpoint. I couldn't be left on my own, if my boyfriend went to the toilet I would hyperventilate at him leaving me in the room. Eventually I got better "of sorts"
    As the years went by I added more hard knocks/excuses, my dad diagnosed with cancer and dying at 55, my dysfunctional relationship with my mother, my near death experience with an ectopic pregnancy. All the time fueling my inner martyr. Giving myself permission to not cope.
    My flatmate that got raped is fine, 2 close friends who were abused are fine. My friends husband who has a brain tumour and her mother has bowel cancer is fine. A friend of a friend who was gang raped by 6 men is fine. None of them have anxiety. Yes they all went/going through horrible processes that people who have had trauma go through but essentially this is what they have said.
    Flatmate - If he limits my life in any way he's won.
    Abused - I can't let the actions of one person define my future
    Friend - Whats the point in stressing when I have so little time with them as it is
    Girl Gang raped - They're the sick ones not me.
    They just get on with it with a completely different mindset. I have as many examples of people like me who thought negatively.

CBT has taught me to draw a line under all of my supposed "hard knocks" in life. I was thinking negatively. I'm trying very hard and succeeding to think positively. If I have a set back what can I learn from it?

I have verbal diahorea too on top of my phobia/PA
    Last edited by tm_edinburgh; 21-01-09 at 14:14.

Re: Hello, New, Suffer Driving Phobia & Panic Attacks

hi and welcome to NMP

Hi and to NMP. This is a great site and you will get lots of help and support here.

Hi there tm and welcome. Please dont be too hard on yourself. You'll find lots of support here.

Your thread was interesting and your right.... why do we fell this way, when some people that have experienced the real trauma just get on with it??

Anyway welcome to nmp

Thanks everyone.
    Dominic at the moment I kind of feel like yeah I've had stressful times but instead of saying "I acknowege that" and move on I feel like instead I've spent 11 years ruminating rather than addressing it and moving on.

Hi

I certainly found the CBT very helpful in directing me to focus on the positives and leave the negatives behind. As a result I no longer convince myself that I am going to drop down dead at any moment.

Hi and to NMP, pleased you found us. I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice, information and support. Remember you are never alone.

chat is fun too and a great place to make new friends

Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

The Sticky Kitchen on facebook!

Hi Tricia,

A big to NMP. It's great that you've joined.

Best wishes xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information