Thread: Doctors appointment

Doctors appointment

Hi All,

I stopped taking meds a few months ago, but over the last 2 weeks I have been really anxious and have had 4 or 5 panic attacks so I am going to go to see my GP.

For some reason I am really anxious about going to see him, I feel like I have failed myself and feel like he will be laughing at me and thinking that I am wasting his time.

I have written down everything I need to tell him, so I don't forget anything.

I really think I need to take the meds again, I don't think I was on them for long enough..

Hugs to all

Lou xxxx

Re: Doctors appointment

Sounds like you are quite organised about it and have given it some thought. The rest is just anticipatory anxiety which is always worse than the event itself. Let us know how you get on. This is not about failure as many of us need our meds in the early stages to be able to create a space to practice getting back into things.
    Veronica

I have just made an appointment for Monday, will let you know how it went.

Good luck with the appointment.

I went to the doctors on Thursday and that was when I got the Panic Attacks diagnosed. He was only checking my blood pressure and told me my heart was racing lol.

He definitely wont be laughing at you, He probably see's loads of people with anxiety problems all the time. Just think to yourself, hes a doctor and his job is to listen to what issues we have. Good luck

Hope this helps.

Make sure you tell the doctor everything and that you know it's anxiety and you want some help- some doctors don't quite understand what anxiety is or how to treat it.
    Also, i've never been on meds so i cannot say this for sure but my take on it is that no matter how long you're on them for you're still going to feel awful whenever you decide to come off them coz they aren't getting to the root of the problem. As you said it hasn't worked last time so maybe try something different- CBT, therapy, breathing techniques (if you haven't already tried these). But if you decide going back on meds will help then do it, it's your decision (people cope in different ways) and don't let the doctor do or give you anything you aint happy with. Let me know how it goes and pm me if you ever want to talk
    take care
    xxx

Hi Louisa,

Your Doctor won't laugh at you or think you have failed in anyway. He will think that you are sensible going back when you know you need help rather than let the situation esculate. I take medication and with the right combination I am a lot better than I have been for a long time.

Good luck with your appointment and let us know how things go xxx

Hiya,

The appointment went well, I have gone back on meds and am going to have CBT at my GP's surgery.

Am feeling very positive about it all.

xxx

Thread Information