Thread: Obsessed with death and afterlife

Obsessed with death and afterlife

For about 9months now I have found myself obsessed with death (not wanting to die, but death itself). The biggest thing for me is that I don't do uncertainty, it freaks me out. Obviously the biggest uncertainty is what happens when you die, is there such a thing as an afterlife or do you just stop existing? I know there is nothing I can do or anyone else can do to know, people have their theories or beliefs but none of them can be proven inconclusively. I can think that logically, but why won't my brain let it go, time and time again it keeps coming back to it and obsessing about it. Sometimes I can go a few days without these thoughts entering my mind.

Other people I know say that it doesn't cross their minds, or they don't think about it. Is it true or are they very good liars? Does everybody to some extent think about this or am I just weird? or is it the intensity that I think about it that is the problem?

I'm only 24 and I'm already worrying about this, surely this isn't right for someone my age.

Re: Obsessed with death and afterlife

For me, it started when I was 11. I'd think "I'll never make it to 16." And then from there, 18, 21, now recently it's been more often. My fear of death I found was when my grandfather died. It hit me hard. And now that I have my own family, I don't want to leave them.

But, I know how obsessive thoughts can get to you, I think it's led me to my panic disorder and agoraphobia to a certain extent. People do sometimes worry about death. BUT, thinking about it too much detracts from what we're here to do, live life. I'm only saying this because I was afraid to do anything because of fear of death. If you let it fester and think about it non stop, you stop enjoying everything that makes life as wonderful as it is.

As for worrying about what comes after death, no one does know and it goes down to personal beliefs, but again, What I would suggest is to try to steer your mind away from such "Morbid" thoughts. All they succeed at is making us all a nervous wreck and detract from our lives. I know it's hard, but focus on something positive. Normally, I look to my children and enjoy my time with them. Just focus on your friends, or enjoy a particularly sunny day.

I do think this stage strikes us normally at sometime during our life, the whole "What purpose do I serve, what will happen when I die thing", some of us just have an easier time accepting things as they are and moving onto just living. I know it isn't easy to get past, but when you do, you'll feel better for it.

I used to always think about when I die. I wouldn't say that I wanted to die, I just wanted to know what happens when I do die. After looking at what other people believed in, I released that to me, Reincarnation was most probably what does happen.

I then started to think, well, what is my purpose on this planet? Some people will say that the purpose is to die, whereas others will say to get rich...

I think it is up to you to make your own purpose. I want to have children, and to have fun in life. That is my purpose. And until I achieve these things, I have no need to worry about death.

Harry

I used to be obsessed about death also. I talked to my docot about it and he said that our bodies are filled with energy and energy never dies it just takes on a new form, that made it easier to have this obsession go. People with OCD have a fear of things that cant control. We cant control death or our outcome in life but we can control how we live it. I hope this helps somehow. Take care.

Everybody has thoughts about death and what happens after we die, EVERYONE! Our survival instinct is so strong everything (whether we're aware of it or not) centres round it, our bodies are primed to escape from the very hint of it coming our way. Most people though only think about it a few times then disregard it because there is no answer, if asked they would say they dont because the thoughts came and the thoughts went without leaving a trace.

Ocd-ers don't do uncertainty full stop, I was scared for years about being a murderer, either by accident or on purpose and the only proof I would ever have would be if I actually murdered someone.... which I never would. So the lack of any solid proof is what caused my anxiety and all that comes with it.

Uncertainty is the biggest problem with ocd because uncertainty equals a percieved risk. There is a risk that when you die this is all it was, or that you will come back as a cockroach, or that you will spend eternity in hell. The only way you'll ever find out what actually happens is when you die. Risk like this to a sensitive over-imagination can cause extreme anxiety and makes you obsess.

I don't have the solution to your problem but from experience I know it will pass, from your post I can tell you're intelligent so for now just try to accept the uncertainty and over ride the anxiety it induces.

Take care x

I'm trying really hard to find things to take my mind off it, but sometimes it's really hard.

Hi there
    I am only 18 and the fear of dying does not even let me sleep. We are so young we shouldn't be thinking about this, but unfortunately we are.
    I am also obsessed with the thought of my parents dying. I cry about this almost everyday. I just can't imagine my life without my loved ones.
    You are not alone with this.
    I don't know what religion you are, but reading this in the bible made me feel better "death on earth is not the end, but the beginning of eternal life". It went something like that lol. But the message of it made me feel better. I know death can not be the end, there has to be something after it

Everyone at some point in their life thinks about death but for most they dont worry about it because most of us wont die until we are in old age, yes some do die younger but most dont.

I believe there is life after death and we are here for a reason. For me that reason is the God of the Bible. Thats my personal choice but I know others have theirs. I will say I have explored many religions, faiths and ways of life and found Christianity to really be true.

The one thing we all need to do is make peace with our idea of the after-life and then we can move forward.

You will find your path but as far as reincarnation goes....I aint coming back as a dung bettle lol

Thread Information