Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear of the sky

Fear of the sky

I'm not exactly sure how this phobia came about or why i'm afraid of it, but it's a fear of mine. Everytime i see the sky, whether it be at night or day, it's emptiness just literally take my breath away(dyspnea) and i'm sent into my panic mode. The sky's emptiness isn't the only one, ocean, the night's darkness. As long as it looks empty to the naked eye for some reason it scares me and i don't know why(I'm a poet and i don't even know it). But, in all seriousness it really does ruin much of my life. I see the sky every single day as does pretty much everyone and i'm very lucky if it can get through a day without it being noticed and me having a panic attack over it. It most commonly happens while i'm driving, going up a steep hill you can't miss it. I usually just put the pedal to the floor until i'm back on level ground. Anyone else have these big open, empty space phobias?

Re: Fear of the sky

You could try driving with the sun visor down or get a dark sunstrip fitted.Stop you seeing to far ahead.

Sounds like a form of agoraphobia to me. No offence to the previous poster, but I don't think that avoiding sky and sea is the way to go. It will reinforce your fear and would be very difficult to do anyway. The sky is there all the time. They even keep it on at weekends .

It's best to nip this in the bud, I think - with cognitive behavioural therapy, counselling, or just a good book. Here's one I found:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-A...2782330&sr=1-1

The sky - night or day - is beautiful. What a shame to not be able to look at it and enjoy it. Ditto the sea. I understand that feeling of isolation and loneliness that the sky and sea can induce. But it needn't be a fearful thing.

No offence taken.I,m not qualified to give out the correct prognosis and cure.Its just something i did when i had the same condition.

hi there

i know it's a bit late to reply but i've just joined and am browsing!
    i have a strange phobia thats sort of similar and not sure if its the same but it's called apeirophobia, which is a fear of infinity..wont go too much into it..but post me back if you wana chat x

ooh, I can relate to you and discomushroom. I haven't got a name for my phobia (well this one anyway!) but I have get really panicky looking at the sky/sea or thinking about space and infinity (this includes looking at or thinking about the moon or sun, etc). I don't know wher it bloody came from but it is horrible!

T x

someone said that when they about standing on Earth the fact that nothing is underneath out planet freaks them out.
    well I don't like to think about it either.
    It reminds me how mortal I am, it also makes everything seem some small and insignificant..............
    I don't believe in GOD but when I was a child , the though of Heaven freaked me out, the though of being there forever and ever with no end, I guess that's a bit like infinity!
    So I sorta have a fear of death but also a fear of things never ending!

Hello,

I ve also suffered of a similar problem cqlled casadastraphobia (which is the fear of falling into the sky when looking at it) for 3 years now. I have a theory that it could relate to "space and motion discomfort" that is a problem of balance with the eyes, vestibular and kinesthetic systems. there is research concerning this and acrophobia (fear of height, vertigo) is considered by some scientists as a consequence of this problem. I wonder if some of you feel this could be the case for them ? I would be happy to talk about it.

I think it's a agoraphobia. The best part which you can do is you may have to try several different medications before you find one that works best for you.

Wow, this seems like a very similar thing to a phobia I had as a child/teen and could never explain to anyone... it was when people were talking and got someone's point and said, "Aah!!" I couldn't explain why I was screaming as a little girl cos I couldn't say the word without feeling as thugh I was being engulfed by some Great Unknown... but the weird thing was, I could tell when a conversation was going that way and would beg people to stop talking. I also used to get the same feeling when thinking about deep water (vivid mental image of my tiny legs at the top of thousands of feet of sea) and once did have a panic attack watching the sky.

But I am pretty much ok now so I can offer the thought that this CAN go if you find the right way (for you) to deal with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information